Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Neighborhood Togetherness 2012


The Saturday before Christmas, our neighborhood gathered together in the cul-de-sac for our 1st Annual Christmas/December Birthday Block Party.  Apparently when Sagittarius people were looking for a street to live on, they picked Forest Oaks Drive.  We only have 13 houses on the street but we have 10 December Birthdays.  That just has to break some record somewhere.  I personally think we need an award or something or a listing in the Guinness book of world records!  

We all decided to throw ourselves a party since all December birthday people totally get shafted because of everyone’s Christmas focus! It was a grand success!  Our non-December birthday neighbors who like to bake, made us the most spectacular red velvet birthday cake, I have ever seen! The guys carried out fire pits for marshmallow roasting and Dan rolled out the grill to make some hot dogs!  Kim, brought crock-pots of chili and everyone else brought their favorite dish!  It was a grand success.  The neighborhood children put on a fabulous performance for all to enjoy!  

All dogs (except KC) were also invited to romp and play!  They almost took out a few people with their game of chase and possibly snatched a few morsels along the way, but I think it was a December highlight for the dogs also.  The new residents of Neptune Beach, the Wyatt Fam, and the Wileys also joined in the festivities.  When the wood ran out and I started getting cold, I decided to head in for the night and couldn’t believe it was 10:30 at night.  We had a 7-hour block party and enjoyed every minute of it!


Two nights later, it was time to gather again for our Annual luminary assembly line!  We celebrate Christmas with Dan’s parents so sometimes we miss the neighborhood festivities.  I am pretty sure they were waiting for the Wog kids (AKA Slave Labor) to come home before they began! My kids were so excited to help!  Eddie was very productive loading sands in the bag and even “pushed” the truck of luminaries down the street. (wink, wink)   We finished in record time and I thought we would have no trouble getting to church on time.  

Of course, it wouldn’t be right not to have a KC incident.  She broke loose from the house (probably bitter because yet again, she wasn’t invited to a neighborhood shindig) Of course, she headed straight for the marsh.  I was sick to my stomach.  Maggie was singing in the choir at church and I didn’t have time to chase her plus I was in clean church clothes and not proper marsh attire.  Thankfully, the great dane Nala, was out and lured KC back home!  We made it church and got to enjoy the beautiful luminaries when we came home!  We are very blessed to live on a street where neighbors care about each other and enjoy being together.  In the world in which we live, it’s a rare thing that most kids will never experience.  I am also very grateful that all the neighbors tolerate my dog and all pitch in to retrieve her when she gets a scent and goes a hunting!  Our block party was possibly one of my favorite activities of 2012 and I look forward to the next one!






No comments:

Post a Comment