Thursday, August 2, 2012

Lunch with Dad


Some ideas are great and then quickly turn to chaos. That was our day yesterday! It was National Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day in response to the liberal attacks against their Christian values.  I thought it would be a fab idea to pick up Chick and have lunch with Dad!  Dan is somewhat of a Chick addict and loved the idea.  It never occurred to me that eating at a Chick would be harder than eating at the White House.  We first tried the Queen’s Harbor one and I couldn’t even turn.  I assured the kids that the Chick at Regency would be easier to get into because it was in a big shopping center.  Well, I was wrong again.  I couldn’t even turn into the parking lot. 

We decided to just eat somewhere else and eat Chick later!  We were almost at the exit for Downtown and we had no food.  I asked Siri to locate a Subway and I finally found one.  It was in a really sketchy area of town and the kids asked me if we were going to get killed based on the gang-type characters loitering around the parking lot. I falsely assured them we were fine!  I made Bubba go into Subway to pick up our order and poor guy, was car sick and rushed to the bathroom to puke!  This lunch with Dad day was turning into a disaster.  With the complaining and fighting going on in the car, I threatened to turn the car around and to forget the whole ordeal.  They promised to be good so we pressed on to Dan’s office.  

We found a meter and met Dan at the door of his office building.  It was quite the thrill to ride up the elevator and all visit Dad at work.  The receptionist seemed thrilled and said she had always wanted to see us all together.  My inside voice was thinking, “She wanted to see the freak show!”  We broke out lunch around Dan’s big desk and I suddenly realized what a bad idea subs with lettuce and shredded cheese was.  The kid’s were being very good and leaning over but still it looked like a whirlwind of sub droppings everywhere.  Dan’s boss came in and thank God, I think the vast amount of kids may have distracted him from the cheese/lettuce fest going on!  He seemed like he was in a trance, staring at all Dan’s kids.  He has no kids and I think he was shocked what five kids really looks like up close and personal.  Eddie gave him knuckles and was endearing!  


Finally, he left and I started crawling around on the floor scrapping cheese out of the carpet with my fingernails.  I was stressed!  We got out of there before disaster incurred and walked over to the Landing.  It was a beautiful day and I got to show the kids where I worked during college.  (What were my parents thinking letting me work downtown at the Limited??)  We finally made it safely to the truck and I was grateful!  We stopped back at Chick-fil-A at on the way home and thankfully found a parking lot and got milkshakes for all!  I was determined to support this company, who has every right to maintain their Christian values!  I hope their sales were off the charts!  By the time I made it home from our adventure, I had to lie down I was so spent!  The kids had a blast and I think Dan’s co-workers respect him on a whole new level!!  LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment