Saturday, February 2, 2013

24 Hours in Wog World


Wow I miss blogging so much!  I used to blog several times a week and now it’s just become a luxury to me.  This weekend was so ridiculously jammed packed with goodness my head is spinning!!!  I want to post a warning about the forthcoming ADD blog!  I am hoping to declutter my brain!

It started off with Bubba having a Pop Warner banquet at Dave and Busters.  I couldn’t go because Bonnie had YouthQuake Live….I’ll talk about that in a minute!!!  Bubba was so overwhelmingly blessed its mind blowing!!! I run organizations with kids so I am so appreciative at all the effort and generosity that was bestowed on him and the other 30 kids on the team!  He got a hoodie, t-shirt, bag, trophy, trading cars, Jaguar M&M’s, playing cards, cups, Video highlights, memories books and probably more stuff that I have forgotten.  I was in total shock and awe at how much his coaches did for him!!!  These boys will never forget the love, encouragement and kindness shown to them and will have keepsakes forever to keep the memories alive!!!

Now onto YQL!!  Eighteen years ago, a stranger youth pastor called me and invited Dan and I to be interviewed about our Young Life involvement at this new thing called YouthQuake Live.  Little did I know that by saying yes to that invitation I would be hooked for life.  I can still tell you what Sean preached on that first show!  He made the biggest impression on me and the youth group kids I brought to the show!  He gave me hope in ministry and lit a fire in me that had waned.  My youth group kids were forever changed as well by this passionate, sincere, open youth pastor sharing his heart to all!  Eighteen years later not much has changed except that now thousands of kids come to show versus the 50 that were there the first time we went.  Or that we have almost 200 cast members versus the 15 original members.  The impact is still the same but reaching so many more lives!  I was so blessed last night to watch my daughter Bonnie perform at a meeting that truly changed my life and my families life, oh so many years ago!!!!  I am so grateful that YQL is still thriving and will foster and train my kids for their futures.

With little sleep, I rushed to the 5th Annual 5K Race at Beaches Chapel.  I am so blessed that this event is also continuing and laughed to myself that probably no one knows the whole thing was Dan’s idea years ago.  It was such a great day with Dan running the 5K again, Maggie and Annie running the 1-mile and Eddie running and WINNING the100 yard dash!  It was a special moment for me!  Eddie has been in leg braces for over 6 months!  It has been a lot of work with home exercises, putting the braces on day and night and taking him to therapy to help correct the way he walks.  His therapist, Ms Jenn, really loves Ed and has encouraged and pushed my ornery boy and he has made miraculous progress.  To see him run without the braces so free and fast, almost made me cry!!!  The crowd was chanting, Eddie, Eddie, Eddie…..and we have watched the video over 20 times today!  He is beyond proud and keeps talking about it while he carries his medal around!!!!  I also got to visit and be interviewed by Theresa Ross, the DJ from the Promise!  We had a wonderful time talking about Alexandra and Jordan and all the people in common that we love!  It was a highlight of the day for me!

We left the race and rushed to the football field to set up for our games.  We hauled sound systems, tables, concessions and more to the field.  It warmed up and we had another beautiful day of football, fun and families enjoying the touchdowns and highlight moments of the day!  Jersey Mike’s brought leftover subs and cookies from the race and we sold out of subs, hot dogs and had a great day!!  I limped home and climbed in my bed to start downloading my full phone of pictures and videos from the day!

I ended the day on a good note!  The Miami Hurricanes won their basketball game by 1 point in the last second!   My boys who have been very disappointed by the Canes for the last few years, rejoiced, hugged and screamed and I may or may not have cried!!  My heart is full and satisfied and I am blessed and also praying for a good nights sleep!

No comments:

Post a Comment