Sunday, October 14, 2012

Excuses, Excuses


Today, I taught in the Adult Sunday School Class for Friendly Faith Sharing.  As I was looking over my lesson I was reminded how as a young youth pastor, I was fortunate enough to be forced into evangelism classes by my Pastor/Boss.  I really hated it, had a bad attitude and dreaded it every week.  I had a stereotype stuck in my head of an obnoxious, in your face person screaming at people about going to hell.  I never wanted to be one of those judgmental, offensive people.  As a part of my training to be a teacher, I had to go to Ft. Lauderdale for advanced classes.  It really changed my life and changed my thinking.  I had the nicest trainer who was so reserved, kind and caring.  As I watched him share his faith with others, I was inspired.  I realized that we were all called to be a witness (Mark 16:15).  We were not called to be rude about it. 

The lesson today was about being a friend.  When I started in ministry through Young Life, the best thing I learned was “Earning the Right to Be Heard!”  Live a life that is an example.  Truly people don’t care what you know, until they know that you care about them.  Over time, I learned to see all situations as divine appointments from God. times to reach out, to show God’s love, to pray and care for people.  I know I have missed countless opportunities to share my faith but I am rededicated to be more aware and use nothing as an excuse.  I think I probably have more excuses than most people with the life that I live.  I think my testimony that people will believe if they know my family, is that without God, I couldn’t maintain this wild, hectic life I have created. I am so desperate for God's help.  There is no going back now.  I just have to trust God to give me strength and wisdom to keep going until I raise the Wog tribe. People come up with all kinds of excuses from I don't know what to say to I don't want to bother people!  I am so grateful to my friend Tina who has been relentless in carrying the torch for Christians to be trained and ready to share their faith!  I love her passion and her commitment to equip people!

Today’s lessons gave some great pointers on how to be a witness.  The first way is to make a list and start daily praying for people.  Someone mentioned keeping a journal of people you are praying for, which is a great idea. The second point was to befriend people and to be alert to their needs.  People go in and out of crises and we need to be ready to reach out to them.  The third point was share your story.  Tell them what God means to you and how he has helped you through difficult times. The last point was ask them if they would like to begin a relationship with the Lord.  If you didn’t know how to pray with them, use a tract or take them to someone that does. 

We have to stop letting our inadequacies stop us from being there for people.  The older I get the more I realize that people need hope. They don’t expect us to have all the answers.  They need love and encouragement.  I know I do more and more the older I get and the older my kids get!!!  I believe that a relationship with God is key to happy, fulfilled life.  The world is lost and hopeless and we really do have the answer!  Let’s spread the good news!!!  No more excuses!!

No comments:

Post a Comment