Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween Madness 2012



I have officially made it into November!  I think it’s my favorite month of the year.  It’s not just because it starts getting cooler and I can legitimately break out the beanies to wear!  I think it’s because the spooky month of October is over.  I am not a fan of scary stuff.  I don’t enjoy the creepy ghost dangling from trees or especially the headless horsemen that I have to pass frequently down the street.  I do embrace the spider webs because it allows me to pretend that the ones around my house were there on purpose! :)
 
I also have to outfit 5 Wogs in costumes.  It’s a daunting task!  Thankfully the older ones are getting creative and don’t need as much help.  Well, really Bubba is some form of a football person every year!  Bonnie gathered up random florescent clothes and dug out my Swatch watch, big obnoxious 80’s earrings and my Madonna bracelets and looked strangely like me at 13 especially with the crimped hair!  It’s a wonder I have any hair left after scorching it by crimper so many times.  Mags went the cowgirl route and I don’t think I have ever seen a cuter one!  Honestly I think she picked it so that she could rock the high heel boots!  Annie wanted to be an Olympic Swimmer, (just a preview of things to come!)  and we dug out a Spiderman costume for Eddie.  I have to say I probably should have bought him a new one.  His was extra tight and possibly a little risqué had he been a few years older. LOL

The funny thing about this year’s Halloween madness is that my kids didn’t really cause me much stress and anxiety.  Dan and I got invited to a costume party and I spent more mental moments dealing with that.  I know it’s a shock, but Dan was not fond of many of my ideas.  He was resistant with the costume idea in general and kept saying he wasn’t wearing one.  I thought allowing him to be Darth Vader would have been a life long dream to be able to choke people from a far.  Not that I would have been dressed like Leia when she was Jaba’s slave.  I would have been donning the white sheet dress and side buns for sure!  Wouldn’t want to scar anyone permanently.  I thought for sure he would jump at the chance to be Jack Sparrow. Nope!  

I was a little stunned that he agreed for us to be Woody and Jessie from Toy Story.  Really?  I didn’t have much time to locate our costumes.  Thankfully, I found a Woody kit that came with vest, hat, bandana and sheriff badge.  Of course they had no such kit available for Jessie.  I ended up having to pay way too much for a Jessie onesie suit.  I learned a valuable lesson.  Never take your mom to shop for an adult costume.  She thinks I am adorable in whatever.  I got home and tried on my new Jessie costume and had a panic attack.  I am not 8 anymore and wasn’t feeling super awesome in my onesie.  Had I not been dealing with this last minute on top of 6 other kid activities I would have been cutting out my own cow print chaps and wearing my own comfortable jeans but sometimes you just gotta go with the onesie!  When I put the costume on for Dan who was near sleep, zoning out in the bed, his reaction was classic.  His eyeballs bulged out of his head and he said, “WOW!”  I think the vision of a life size Jessie doll was just too much and jolted him out of a nice relaxed pre-sleep state.  He started laughing and couldn’t quite get past the fact that I had on a onesie.  He said it looked like I had Jessie jammies on!  I started laughing too and decided just to embrace this hilarity and to provide entertainment for all!  I think many people at the party had the same reaction to my Jessie costume but maybe not as vocal as Dan. 


On Halloween, our church had a festival actually on Halloween.  It was a relief.  Usually I have to deceive my children on the exact day of Halloween.  I loathe the thought of dressing them up more than once.  I typically provide my neighbors with Halloween candy on the Wednesday of Halloween week and I trick or treat the neighborhood before church. This year was great.  No deception at all!  

The only stress I had with kid’s costumes this year was with Annie.  Her costume seemed pretty simple when we thought of it. She could wear her regular swim gear and I could make an Olympic torch!   I was pretty proud of my craft effort.  I used party hats and bought a flickering little candle for inside.  It was pretty legit!  The problem came when we tried to get an American flag and Wohlgemuth on her rubber swim cap.  I learned some valuable glue wisdom.  These are the things that do NOT work on a rubber cap, hot glue, goop, rubber cement, double sided tape or strapping tape.  I had one sleepless night worried about this dang cap issue.  Before Bible study I dashed to the dollar store and the wise manager helped me by reading the labels and we found that Crazy glue could stick to rubber and viola, it worked like a charm!  We did sacrifice the cap but it was worth the authenticity of her costume!  She wanted an Olympic tattoo and I was pretty proud of my freehand effort on the back tat!
 
We had a fabulous time at the festival. The most disturbing party was the way that Eddie was streaking around like baby jacked up on mountain dew in his too tight spandex costume.  I am pretty sure we lost him more than we saw him.  After the festival, the older kids talked me into more trick or treating with their friends.  I was pretty bitter about it.  My legs, back and feet hurt from all the prep work of the day and it was the last thing I wanted to do.  It worked out awesome though.  I put them in the car and parked at the end of the designated street and watched them in comfort and warm from my car.  I think this is a brilliant idea.  I ran into neighborhood friends and they were obviously jealous of me relaxing in the car as they walked miles around the neighborhood.  I told them we could rent a parent bus for the next year and they said they are all in for that! It’s a way to subtly stalk your children!   Now it’s on to cool beanie weather, Thanksgiving holiday with no psychotic gift giving and nicer decorations of turkeys versus devils!  I am one thankful mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment