Sunday, November 4, 2012

Blue Angels Weekend 2012



I have been so crazy busy trying to keep up with the five Wogs and a dog, I am backed up in my blog writing.  I have been dying to write about our fabulous Blue Angels Weekend.  It’s one of my favorite weekends of all time and I don’t want to let the great memories fade away without proper recognition!

The fun began on Thursday.  I was home alone cleaning the house when I thought I heard a jet. I went downstairs, made my lunch and indeed, out my back windows, I saw my beloved Blue Angels in the diamond formation, flying over Neptune Beach Elementary.  I ate my lunch in pure wonder!  I picked up the kids and once again, we heard one shriek by.  

Bubba suggested we hop on our bikes and go down to the bridge at the end of our street.  What a sight that was.  We could see the planes north and south down the marsh when they would bank.  One came screeching up Forest Avenue and Eddie’s comments was, “That was awesome!”  We all agreed!  I found out that night at Annie’s swimming from a Navy guy that one of the planes had an engine problem and that was why we had two practice times.

The next day BCS had Blue Angels Day and it was a total blast.  The classes all did fun activities and all the kids were dressed in patriotic clothes!  We watched planes fly all afternoon and enjoyed being together with all our BCS families!  After school, we dashed to the beach and watched the Blue Angels air show in all its glory!

Saturday, I woke up with several messages from friends that my family was in the paper in the Blue Angels insert.  I was a tad disappointed that they chose that certain pic.  I am pretty sure I was prego with Ed.  I have much cuter, patriotic pix if they would have only asked! 

Bubba had a football game at Wingate Park and I got yet another awesome perspective of the air show.  They were circling the park and it worked out that they arrived right at half time. We joked that the Jaguars really splurged with the half time show!  Bubba was a little perturbed at the number of pictures I took of the planes instead of his football game. I honestly did try hard to get some football players in the pictures or at least the goal post!

On Sunday, we went to church and then headed out to the Air Show.  Dan wanted us to ride our bikes and I was totally freaked out.  I knew the number of people that were going to be out and about and to throw 6 Wogs bikes in the mix was wigging me out.  I told him all my concerns and he disregarded them and we set out! We chained the bikes to a fence by the Casa Marina and I have to say it was so nice not having to find somewhere to park.  I had a moment realizing this is the first time since the air show has come to the beach that I have not hauled a stroller.  It felt like I graduated as I watched all my kids walking themselves.  It was a great moment. 
 
We stood in a short line and checked out a jet and walked around to all the vendors.  All the kids got free classes and looked super cool!  I was poised and ready to buy up some souvenirs and was a little shocked and disappointed that no one asked for one! Dan wanted to see the F-22 so we went down on the beach. Dan was a riot.  He was so pumped and kept saying how phenomenal and awesome the maneuvers were.  Eddie got irritated and yelled at Dan and said, “This is NOT awesome, it’s too loud!”  After the jet, we got back on our bikes and headed north.  We went down on the beach again to watch the final show of the Blue Angels.  I befriended a bus driver and a teacher from New York who were here with a Boys Choir who were singing at St. Paul’s.  They were getting ready to leave before the Blue Angels, not understanding that they were the main attraction, having just rolled into to town. They were SOOOO happy that they stayed and must have taken a 100 pictures! The boys choir even walked down from St. Paul's for the show.
 
After it was over, all the Wogs got on the bikes and started back home totally satisfied with the wonderful weekend full of America’s Blue Angels!  I crossed 3rd Street and heard a big crash.  I was so scared that it was one of my kids who were behind me. I peeked behind and saw a lady in the middle of the rode.  Apparently she cut Bonnie off and hit Dan’s bike who had Ed on the front.  I was so relieved that my peeps were OK but felt sorry for the lady. 

I am sad that we will have to wait two years for the Air Show to come back to the beach.  I hope that they will add back the Amphibious assault on the beach when they do return!  I always think about how it would be to be one of the countries we invade with our mega power military.  It must be a truly awesome display of strength and makes me proud to be American! Go USA!

No comments:

Post a Comment