Saturday, November 17, 2012

Town Center Concert Madness


A few days ago, Maggie told me that all the girls in her class were going to see the Bridget Mendler concert at the Town Center and she wanted me to get her a ticket.  She said they were unsure of how they were getting there.  Now, I really do love the Disney show, Good Luck Charlie, and Bridget who is one of the main characters but you can imagine my thought process through this conversation.  I dutifully checked online and couldn’t find out about tickets.  I finally called Barnes and Noble and they said it was a free concert.  My mind starting visualizing the Town Center filled with hordes of screaming little girls.  I much rather buy a ticket with a guaranteed seat of some sort.

We started the day at the Bolles School watching Annie swim in the ice-cold wind.  By the time I got home, I was praying to the Lord that Maggie wouldn’t mention the concert.  She bounded in the door, asking me if we were still going to the concert.  I almost cried but squeaked out an “Of Course!” with a plastered fake smile on my face.  I felt kind of ill when I thought about the concert and promptly climbed into bed and took a power nap.  When I was waking up, I was secretly hoping it was Sunday morning and it was all a bad dream.

I really do try to give Maggie special moments because I fear the “middle child” syndrome of feeling shafted by your siblings.  I drug myself out of bed, got dressed and we headed out in the cold.  I was still chilled to the bone from the swim meet so I put on 3 layers of clothes, boots, scarf, gloves and hat.   I did not want to be cold again. I knew we were in trouble when the traffic was stopped and not moving at all to turn into the Town Center.  I took over 20 minutes to find a parking place.  I was appalled at the lady who zipped around my truck and swiped my parking place.  It was pure insanity. I severely underestimated desperate parents trying to get their kid to the concert.

We started walking up from behind the stage and I thought it would be no big deal to slip through the crowd to get on the front side of the stage.  I WAS WRONG! I should have turned back after the first incident with the lady in the wheel chair.  I was feeling sorry for her until our altercation.  Maggie and I were edging past her and with crazy eyes, she said really loud, “I’m getting ready to light one up!”  I wasn’t totally sure what she was talking about until out comes the cigarette in the middle of a mob.  I swear she burned my jacket.  Some kid bumped into her foot which was apparently broken and the F bombs started flying.  Why the lady felt she needed to position herself in the middle of a concert crowd, I will never know.  I never thought Maggie would learn the F word at a Disney concert.

Then the fun really started.  Maggie and I got crushed against a wall when a desperate lady with a double stroller came plowing through the crowd, unconcerned of our feet.  Maggie yelled out in pain and I was trying to be sympathetic realizing I have probably done the same thing with the multiple double strollers that I have wheeled through crowds in a parenting daze.

What happened next, I would have never thought I would experience at a Disney concert.  A frightening looking woman with a partially shaved heads and piercings, holding a kid started yelling for people to move and to %$#)$% go the other way.  She started flailing her arm and shoving people in front of her and apparently ticked off a man coming the opposite direction.  He started shoving her, yelling at her that she hit his wife and a fist a cuff ensued.  Everyone started screaming, babies were wailing and parents were frantic to get their small children away from the brawl and prolific cussing that was flowing like water.  I started feeling like I was going to pass out and had to ask a strange man to help me take my jacket off before I blacked out in the psycho crush of people, leaving Maggie alone.  I was regretting my 3 layers of clothes and started pulling off my scarf and gloves and stood tall on my tiptoes, trying to get air. I put myself between Maggie and the crazy lady and hoped I could take any blow that came my way and not Maggie.  I was very scared myself and felt terrible for the stricken children who were so traumatized.  It seemed like we were there forever but finally got to an open place in front of a store.  I held Maggie while she cried and told her she was going to be OK.  

Just then, a school friend and parents came up and she instantly recovered and ended up having a fun time. I was never so thankful to run into someone!  I was a little shell shocked and stood there trying to process what just happened.  I have been to many a rock concert in my life and can’t remember ever having an encounter like this one. I think the problem was that half of these people in the crowd were just trying to get away from the concert and had no idea it was going on. Had I been in my right mind, I would have totally videoed and taken pictures for proper blog documentation but I guess saving my child's life took precedents, I am happy to say!
 
Maggie finally said she was ready to go 5 minutes before it ended and we zipped right out. I tried to end the night on a high note, and got her a Peppermint milkshake from Chickfilia!  Chickfila seems to make everything better!  I was prepared for screaming little girls but certainly not adults screaming profanity and being terrible examples for all the many children observing their antics.  Maggie and I sang a little song on the way home, “We are never, ever, ever, going back to a concert!”  Well, unless it was Taylor Swift and we had a seat!!  I know for sure I got many stones in my parenting crown in heaven after today!  My mom was trying to encourage me before I left for the concert, saying that Maggie would always remember this night and boy was she right! 

No comments:

Post a Comment