Tuesday, October 9, 2012

River Fun October 2012



It freaks me out when I go to our family River house and take my standard “all my kids on the porch swing” picture.  They are growing by leaps and bounds and I can’t stop it or slow it down.  When we started building the cabin, Bonnie was one year old and was our only baby!  None of my kids will remember life without the River House.  What has changed are the activities they do.  When Bonnie was a baby, she made thousands of little fires out of sticks (we didn’t light them so don’t worry!)  They would make forts in the woods and play all kinds of imaginary games.  They are growing up and now I have to band them from their IPods and enjoy nature!  It’s really crazy that all five of them can go in the water on their own and are all good swimmers!   Man, that went fast!

We had a short trip but it was worth it.  There is nothing that can take the place of being at the River house.  It’s so beautiful and very peaceful.  Dan and I got in boats and floated around the river and chatted.  The kids swam even though it was already so very cold.  We walked through the woods and picked a HUGE, beautiful bouquet of wild flowers.  The little kids did the zipline and we played some football, of course.  KC howled and carried on and ran off a TON of energy!  Dan cooked great meals and somehow I even managed a nap on the porch swing amongst the chaos!

It’s becoming so very difficult to find time to go to the River, which makes me sad.  With all the kids activities and games it’s almost impossible to find a weekend.  I finally realized it’s never going to be convenient or easy but we will have to make it a priority because before I know it, they will be scattered from me.  I look at my brother and my sister’s kids who were all young when we started this project.  We all worked so hard, the kids included, to make the cabin a reality.  Now most of the kids are grown and rarely find time to go.  Life is truly a blur but I pray I can focus on pulling us together and creating more River memories!

No comments:

Post a Comment