Thursday, September 27, 2012

USA Swim Meet 2012


Annie was pretty pumped about her first USA Swim Meet!  (Probably not as much as her psychotic, patriotic mom though!!)  Her first swim coach called me a couple days before to tell us how proud she was and that she would be coming to the meet to support Annie and the other BAC swimmers!  She told me that Annie was ranked high but may be overwhelmed with how the meets are run.  The River City Meets from the summer are user friendly!  They have volunteers that organize all the swimmers before their heat.  With the USA swimmers, it’s up to the swimmer/parent to get them to the block, ready to race!  Also, you have kids from all over competing!  I was nervous and always marvel at how Annie stays so calm! I just don’t understand calm people!  I sure wish I were one of them!  My stomach was in a knot on the way there and I took a coke hoping to settle my stomach. As big and strong as Annie is, she is still just a 7 year old, little girl!

Coach Paul and Coach Cynthia Dunbar
Annie's swim buddies, Carley and Abby!
Dan took her early to warm up while I got the other Wog kids settled.  I was running a little late, and by running, I mean, I was running like a crazy person trying not to miss her relay!  The USA meets mean business! They start on time and zoom.  I got the pool and my Annie was in the water kicking her heart out on a relay team.  Dan timed her at 19 seconds for a 25 Freestyle, which would be her best time if it were an individual race.

Her next heat was the 50 Freestyle.  The first time Annie ever swam this was at her second meet and she burst into tears, her arms and legs were burning so bad.  I have that memory in my head and always worry for my girl.  She swam great and I thought got her best time.  Dan thought it was her worst.  It wasn’t until the next day when a friend checked the results for me and she indeed swam her best 50 Free!

Her last and best event was the Backstroke! Annie was made for this stroke apparently!  She started a little late but caught up quick and looked amazing!  She is one strong girl! She looks like she is moving slower than everyone else but her strength propels her through the water.  She ended up winning 3rd place out of all the swimmers and swam her best 25 Backstroke time ever!  Did I mention she was the youngest too?  I was beyond proud and very relieved.  Annie takes all this in stride and her comment was,  "I should have won 1st place!"  I have no doubt she will in the near future!!  I told one of her coaches how she did and he asked me how old she was.  I told him she turned 7 in April and his eyeballs got big and he said, “Wow, next summer, whe will be the best swimmer in the city, in her age group!”  Everyone assumes she is at least 9 years old or more because of her size.
 
On the way home, Annie said she felt sad.  I asked her why and she said because her meet was over.  She told me she feels sad after every time she races.  I explained to her that it’s because she is doing what she loves and what God has made her to do!  If she was relieved and dreaded it, it’s not her thing!  I don’t know what the future holds for my baby girl but I pray it includes swimming!  Swimming has caused Annie to gain so much self-confidence and I am so thankful she has found something she is good at and loves!  Now we are just counting off the days until her next USA Swim Meet in October!!  Swim Annie Swim!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment