Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Poor Possum

We have all kinds of critters around our house.  A hawk swooped through our back yard a couple days ago and scared the kids and the dog!  We have a creepy owl that swivels its head around and hoots like crazy.  We have a serious raccoon problem and boy are they sassy.  They come in my garage and pilfer through our garbage bags and don’t even budge when I tell them to go.  I have chased them with a bat before to get them the heck out of my garage.  Speaking of bats…they seriously try to fly into my hair around dusk and totally wig me out.  Squirrels sit on the garbage can and act very put out with me when I interrupt their rummage through my garbage.  Foxes sashay down the sidewalk like they are trained pets.  It’s craziness.  You would think the word on the street would be out that I have a crazy coonhound that would love to assault them and bring them to me as a gift.  No such luck.
 
I am not an animal person.  I can tolerate fish and I did love my cat very much even though he defected and died at a neighbor’s house to escape Wogville chaos. Last Monday, was mind blowing.  Annie has been one of those kids who beats herself up on a regular basis. She has gotten Ouch Awards at school for using the most band-aids. Bets have been made if she can stay on her feet during a soccer game for more than a couple minutes.  Her baby pictures consist of many scrapes and bruises on her face, from all her antics.  She has never been short on bravery.  She is a fearless one.  Blood doesn’t faze her and I told her she should be a surgeon when she grows up. 
 
Monday when we came home from school, she jumped out of the car while I was getting the mail. Her neighbor friends were playing in the cul-de-sac.  They seemed to be having the best time.  She didn’t come in for hours.  Annie loves to eat and I couldn’t believe she never came in for a snack.  Well, little did I know that she was doing a surgical procedure on a possum skeleton that they found in our yard. I guess I should have looked into what was detaining her from pounding her afternoon snack. 
When it was getting dark, she finally came inside. She very proudly had a Ziploc bad and apparently the neighbor’s gloves, thank God. She showed us a tooth she had extracted out of the possum skull. I was disgusted and of course told her to wash her hands pronto.  She casually told me that she was sticking it under her pillow because she needed some cash.  She was going to trick the tooth fairy.  I honestly don’t know what to say many times to my kids. They constantly amaze me and not always in a good way.  All I could really think was how sorry I felt for the tooth fairy.  I never really considered that children would enter into such trickery and deception.  My friends and family are anxiously waiting if the Tooth Fairy ponies up some big cash for the extra-large possum tooth.  If she does, I think that may take care of any road kill along the highways.  Big business for sure!

I admire Annie for her ambition and courage. Who knows if we have another dentist coming up in the future!  I am just thankful she put on some gloves for the surgery!

No comments:

Post a Comment