Saturday, April 14, 2012

Man of the Year 2012

I never knew much about the sport of Lacrosse until a few years ago when my nephew, Jesse began playing at Fletcher High School.  Of course, Bubba was an instant fan and didn’t want to miss a game.  My poor sister had to almost take out a loan to feed Bubba at the games and to buy him all the spirit wear that he HAD to have!!  She spoiled him to no end, despite my protests, with hoodies, T-shirts and more!  I will say the purchases did not go to waste and that he dressed in his best Fletcher purple for every game he attended!! 
 
Recently, I was picking up Bubba from Football practice and called my mom. She was so nervous because Jesse’s game was neck and neck against Providence.  I quickly picked Bubba up and rushed to the field.  I just had a feeling they needed their “good luck charm” to come help them secure a victory!  We parked illegally and ran in to the game and low and behold, they pulled out a win in overtime!  It was the most stressful 5 minutes ever.

Last week, was senior night for Jesse.  We have been so proud of him during his high school years playing Lacrosse but extremely proud this year.  Jesse has been the top scorer in the city!  We laughed about the fact that he was the shortest player on the team his freshman year and now he is the tallest!  We all met at my sister’s house for dinner and prayed for Jesse’s last regular season home game!  At half time, my sister and brother in law Brett walked arm and arm with Jesse on the field, as they announced all of his accomplishments and future plans.  Yes, I cried and was so proud of my nephew.  Of course, I slipped out on the field when no one was looking so I could get some great photos of the moment. LOL!  Jesse went on to make 5 goals and 5 assists and the team won their last home game!

During half time, the announcer had Brett Godard, my brother in law, stand up and be honored for all the hard work he did to preserve this year's Lacrosse season.  Due to budget cuts, this season of Lacrosse was not going to happen.  Brett worked endlessly with all 9 high schools, putting on fundraisers to fund this season.  I don’t think I knew the extent of all Brett did until yesterday.  I got an email from my sister that announced that Brett Godard was voted the Man of the Year for 2012 by the North Florida Lacrosse community!  They said he was the 11th man on every Lacrosse team throughout the city! The also described Brett as “soft-spoken, rational organized and respected!” I cried when I first read it, cried when I read it to all my kids and cried late last night reading it to Dan.  I am so very proud of my brother in law. He has been Man of the Year for almost 20 years to me.  He has loved my sister and their children and I am proud to be related to him!  I love that fact that he didn’t riot and cause a scene about this injustice to these kids.  He quietly went about uniting and organizing the support that Lacrosse needed!  I think I am most excited because it’s so nice to have another activist in the family!! LOL  I think it may be time for Brett to run for office and I for one, am ready to work hard on his campaign….BRETT FOR PRESIDENT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment