Saturday, May 19, 2012

BCS Graduation 2012


Beaches Chapel High School Graduates, Class of 2012
When Bonnie started attending Beaches Chapel School, eight years ago in K5, God started stirring my heart and others also to rebuild the high school.  I remember being so nervous to mention it to Pastor Steve.  His experience with our former high school was less than stellar.  We were eating at Jason’s Deli and I finally worked up enough nerve to ask him if he would ever consider BCS having a high school again.  He didn’t respond right away and then said, “I can’t believe I am saying this but YES I would.”  I almost cried with joy.  I knew it was the Lord if Steve was open to it at all. I knew in my heart it was a done deal even though many needed convincing over the next couple years.

It was a long process with much prayer and much work.  I really give much of the credit to two precious servants, Pat Sones and Marcella Bridier.  Pastor Steve partnered the two and gave them the task of creating a high school development plan to be presented to the Board for consideration.  They volunteered their time and worked tirelessly for months to produce a large binder containing the plans for the future Beaches Chapel High School.  Another person who was a cheerleader from the beginning was Sherry Robbins.  She also poured her energy and heart into the rebuilding of the high school and accepted the position as our first high school principal.  She willing said she would give up her office for classroom space and teach whatever was needed.  I remember sitting in Board meetings with her, marveling at her passion for teaching and love for BCS.
Chris Smith and I, Class of '87

Last night, I wept at the fulfillment of a dream.  I was nostalgic beyond belief, remembering my own high school graduation in the same building.  My heart ached for our beloved first high school principal, Sherry Robbins, who fought long and hard against cancer.  She lost her fight in November but her spirit and impact will always be at BCS. She would have been beyond proud of her son Warren, who walked the stage in his cap and gown.  The most moving moment of the ceremony for me was the incredible video that James and Cara did of all the seniors talking about how blessed and thankful they were for BCHS. It was also wonderful to see my long time friend, Chris Smith’s son walk the stage just as Chris and I had done 25 years ago.

I am so grateful to Pastor Steve and our Board for making this safe haven possible again for our students.  I know that God is going to do abundantly more than we could ever ask or think in the lives of our BCS graduates. They have had the Word of God poured into them and have been taught to worship the Lord.  They know the true secret of success found in Joshua 1:8-9, “Keep the Word of God always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.” Congratulations BCHS Class of 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment