Thursday, May 31, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend 2012


I am pretty sure I have never needed to get out of town more than I did this past weekend. I was never so exhausted in everyway. There is something almost magical that happens for me at the river.  I truly can relax and enjoy life like I seem to be unable to at home with laundry, cooking and life all around.  We finally arrived at dinnertime and got unpacked and beds made.  I love to sit on the porch and just exhale and look at the peaceful river.  Finally….

The next day we had a nice breakfast and took a nice long walk with the family.  We got back and the kids began to kayak and swing on the rope swing.  I relaxed on the deck reading my book.  We ate lunch and then Dan and I got in floats and Bubba dropped us off a little down stream.  The river was low and moving pretty slow.  It was breezy and so nice to float and chat with Dan for a little bit.  Unfortunately, KC saw us and sat on the bottom of the steps and barked her head off.  Eddie came down and sat next to KC and kept petting her telling her to calm down.  She didn’t of course.  We chatted with some guys fishing and watched in amazement how fast they were pulling in fish.  They would regularly howl like KC too.  When we finally floated back to the cabin.  The kids announced that they made us a special lunch.  They sure went to a lot of trouble too. They had cute appetizers, a special drink (we think it was OJ and Caprisun), sandwiches and even little tiny smores they made in the microwave.  I was very impressed and thought it was so thoughtful and nice,
 
After lunch, the Wyatt’s came to the River for their first time.  They brought their new dog Talbot with visions of KC and him being BFF’s.  KC did not cooperate at all and somewhat attacked poor Talbot all day.  I was very irritated with her behavior and very surprised. She typically is very friendly with dogs.  John and Dan took some nature walks and tried to get them to play, which they did only briefly.  It seems to be when food or bones are involved, things got ugly. Poor Talbot was probably traumatized for life from KC’s abuse.  It got really hot and I talked Carrie into floating down the river too.  The River had some kind of sludge/algae stuff that I have rarely seen before.  Poor Carrie got in her little boat along with some nasty sludge.  They told their girls they were going on an adventure, but I am thinking Carrie got more of an adventure than she was prepared for. LOL  John was very brave and did the rope swing multiple times and we ended our time with a great dinner, cooked by grill master Dan.  It was great to share our river experience with someone that I love so much!
 
Unfortunately the tropical storm, Beryl, cut our trip short so we had to come home after lunch to prepare for the storm.  I hate leaving the river, which is such an escape and a quiet haven for us.  What was nice about the storm is it forced us to all stay in and hunker down together.  We watched movies, ate popcorn and really had a great time even in the bad weather.  I hope that is the last storm that hits us this year and I look forward returning to the river very soon minus the river sludge! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment