Saturday, June 2, 2012

Annie's 1st Swim Meet 2012

At my age, entering new worlds and having first time experiences are far and few between.  Today was one of those days.  Annie had her first swim meet and she was a little nervous not really knowing what to expect.  I was nervous too and hardly slept having never been to a swim meet myself. We had to leave the house before 7 AM and when we arrived at San Jose Country Club, I was a little surprised by the mass quantity of people of all ages.  There were little tiny kids up to seniors in high school competing. Parents and grandparents were everywhere  Annie swims with the Beaches Aquatic Center team and they all looked really cool in their black bathing suits and black BAC swim caps.  We found a place to set up our chairs, up on a deck, under a tree and waiting until it was time for Annie to warm up.  She dove in like a pro and swam her heart out!  Then the waiting began.  She waited almost two hours until her first race, which was going to be the backstroke.  I don’t know what it is about Annie, but she is a tough little thing, but I still see the tender, shy side and I just want to hug her.

Yesterday, our neighbor Cameron, who was a champion swimmer at Fletcher and now swims in college, came over to work with Annie a little bit.  I was so very impressed with how sweet and patient he was with her.  It’s definitely a gift that some people have.  Dan said he really saw such improvement later at practice.  Dan is a great swimmer but doesn’t want to technically teach Annie anything wrong on the strokes.  Cameron was working on the breaststroke and had a great way to teach the arm stroke, “Get the water, bake a cake and put it in the oven!” We really appreciate him taking time for her!
 
The moment finally came!  They line up the kids behind their lanes and move them up when it’s time.  Annie was finally in the water, the horn blew and off she went swimming the backstroke.  She had a big lead at first and beat all the kids she was competing with.  I will never forget watching Dan’s face.  He was so intense and then started fist pumping when she clinched the victory.  I almost cried with joy!  Annie’s face snapped into focus with this determined look and she swam her heart out.  It was awesome to see that competiveness that I see all the time in Bubba.

Coach Cynthia and Mr. Paul were so proud of her and gave her beads to wear for finishing her race.  They are such a blessing with their calm, positive encouraging words.  They exude true love and want every child to be a success. Cynthia came over later and got Annie and sat her next to the pool so she could watch the older kids race. As she was walking away, I heard her tell Annie, that one-day she was going to swim just like those kids!  It was pretty phenomenal watching Paul and Cynthia’s senior high daughter win her first race.  She is a powerhouse swimmer in a little body.

Annie swam in the 11th event and then not again until the 41st.  It went faster than I thought and I thoroughly enjoyed this whole new experience for our family.  Finally it was time for her freestyle race and she won that as well!  Her last event was a relay and Cynthia called her the anchor.  Unfortunately she had a few slow swimmers in her group but she definitely won her leg of the relay!  Annie hugged and thanked her coaches and it was off to Chick-fil-A to feed our little champion.  On the way to the car, I asked her if she liked seeing all the big kids swim and she said "Yes, but I didn't like seeing that guy in his swim panties!" (speedos) LOL!! She made us so proud and I am so grateful for the day I ran into Cynthia at the store.  I have known her since I attended Young Life with my friend in high school, when her and Paul were the leaders.  Years later, I was her older kids Young Life Leader. I hadn’t seen Cynthia in a long time and as we were catching up with the 11 kids between us, I told her how Annie has joint issues and how the doctor suggested swimming would be good to keep her strong.  Low and behold, Cynthia is the beginner’s swim coach for the BAC.  It was so a divine appointment and I am so thankful to God for setting it up for me. 
 
A while ago, I was praying and talking to God about how stressed out I was about raising these five kids and the pressure I felt to help them find their way in life.  God spoke to me so clearly and told me that it wasn’t up to me.  All I had to do was trust God and he would sovereignly bring people into our lives that would help us train and raise our kids.  I have watched God do it over and over again and I am in awe of how God truly orchestrates our life, if we ask Him and let Him.  It’s too overwhelming for any parent to feel like it is all up to them to successfully raise a child. We need the Lord’s help for sure.  I even smiled a couple nights ago, when I saw Jacksonville was bidding to hold the Olympic Trials for Swimming.  Of course, I think we will get it and that God is doing that for my convenience LOL!!  I am now a veteran swim meet mom and I look forward to all the times ahead cheering for my future Olympian!

1 comment:

  1. While you were at San Jose with Annie, I was at Julington Creek with Zac. He is swimming with the Wahoos this summer. They had two swim meets scheduled back-to-back, so we had to cancel the medleys and do "flyover starts" with the older kids so we could clear the pool by 1:00 p.m. I was timing during the second shift with a Colorado plunger in my left hand and a stopwatch in my right. Next thing, they will ask me to be a "stroke and turn" judge, I just feel it!

    My boys swam for BAC four years ago. I'm glad to know that Cynthia and Cameron are still part of the action. Cameron was fabulous with the kids - very patient. I didn't realize he was your neighbor.

    I am now a Red Cross Water Safety Instructor and have taught private lessons in addition to teaching group lessons at the UNF Aquatic Center. Holler if you need me!

    I was hoping our paths would cross when we host BAC at UNF, but we will be at a family reunion that weekend. Enjoy the season and I'll see you at the River City Championships in July :)

    ReplyDelete