Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Beginnings of the Smith River House

Since I make reference to our Smith River House on a regular occasion I thought I would give a quick review of how we got so blessed to have it!

Our first river trip to see the property in May 2000
Over 12 years ago, my brother and his family starting going with good friends, the McDonald’s, to their cabin near the Suwanee River for weekend get-aways!  My brother fell in love and told my mom how awesome it was.  My mom got excited about the possibility of us having a family cabin and we began to look for available property!  My brother convinced a man to sell us his 10 acres and so our journey began.  For two years, our family sacrificed every weekend and the cabin slowly got built.  The McDonald’s even had a weekend they called Habicooch (Our property is off the Withlacoochie River that connects into the Suwanee.)  Over 25 men showed up to help us finish our cabin. We moved in on Good Friday in 2003. 
Brett designed shirts and gave
them to all who worked!

The crazy thing is my kids will never remember life without the River House.  The first trip we went was on Memorial Day 2000.  My Bonnie was one year old.  She grew up there making fake fires, collecting rocks and taking nature walks through the woods.  On a weekend when we were scouting out where on the property to locate the cabin, I found out I was pregnant with Bubs and broke that news to Dan on Father’s Day and he was thrilled!!  

Found out I was pregnant with Bubs
Bub's hammered away in there!
It was grueling for me personally being without Dan every weekend.  Bubba never slept and I remember those exhausting days.  I would frequently pack up Bon and Bubs and Mom and I would head to the River!  I would pop up his “pack and play” and let him hammer and play with his toys. It was well worth it though because of the joy it brings everyone who goes.  I'll never forget the day that the floor was done and we all climbed up to see our view for the first time!  No one was more thrilled than my mom!

Mom rejoicing seeing our incredible view for the 1st time!
We have made wonderful memories there, kayaking, jumping off the trees, going to the beach around the bend, fishing, zip-lining, riding ATV’s, shooting air soft guns, swinging on the porch swing, rocking in the rocking chairs, making smores, playing cards, eating good food and most of all, being with those we love!

"Brother-in-laws become Brothers!"
 River House
It is a legacy that my mom provided for her family!!  My Dad would be so proud of her for making this happen!  Generations will love and enjoy special times together at this wonderful retreat!  #blessedbymom 

No comments:

Post a Comment