Thursday, June 23, 2011

Ticks and Yoga

The Wogs had a tremendous time at our family River House during Spring Break last April!  When I got home, I discovered a tick on my leg and pulled it off and flushed it!  Didn’t think too much about it and never got the red ring that indicates Lyme disease.  A few days later, some freaky, weird things started happening to me. I started having numbness in my legs and arms, joint swelling, then my heart started beating fast and I could hardly breath.  Then I started having dizzy spells and confusion in the brain (please no jokes about this part! :) After, three days of all that I started running a fever and had aches and pains everywhere along with intense headaches.  I finally went to the doctor and got on the appropriate tick antibiotics and thought I would soon be on the mend.  DAYS turned into WEEKS and the symptoms intensified and I surely thought I was dying and even taught my 7 year old how to call 911 in case mommy didn’t wake up from her nap.  I slept all the time and never felt better for it.  Of course they ran a bazillion test on me for Mono, diabeties, cancer, MS, hormones, vitamin levels and everything else imaginable.  I had a nerve conduction test done  (and it hurt!!!) at the Neurologist and ALL the results determined that I was a specimen of perfect health BUT the symptoms were still driving me to madness.  I even drove myself to the ER one night, to rule out stroke and heart attack!   
I rely on the power of prayer and have been so very blessed to be in a Prayer Group for over two years.  They have prayed me through surgeries, job scares, family illnesses and more.  Well, I DRUG myself to prayer and even laid my head on the table the whole time because I was so weak and dizzy.  Those prayer warriors went to work, anointing me with oil, laying hands on me and commanding my body to get back in line to stop all this foolishness.  I left, still defeated and discouraged and not in faith at all but low and behold, despite my unbelief, I woke up the next day with no heart palpitations and my brain clear.  I attribute my turn around solely to the prayers of the saints, my dear friends and family who were standing in the gap for me. Even though the doctor said it wasn’t tick related, I honestly feel like it was!  The symptoms all lined up for multiple tick diseases even though my two Lyme’s disease tests were negative. (Can you see why my doctor banned me from Web MD??)  That blasted, tiny, little, disease- filled tick!  I still have numbness in waves in my arms and legs and a bit of vertigo but I am on the mend, praise the Lord!

 A friend had a heart to heart with me about the importance of taking time for myself, slowing down, and exercising.  It was just the word I needed and I sincerely took it to heart and started that day doing Yoga from my On Demand Exercise Channel.  OK, it was HILARIOUS.  I knew it was the one for me when he said that  Yoga would bring “Balance to the Brain!”   I so need that!  Thank you Lord, no one filmed my first attempt.  I was shocked at how out of shape I had become, barely able to touch my toes when stretching.  Years of pregnancy, nursing and hauling my large babies around had done quite a number on my neck, shoulders and back.  My joints crackled like a raging fire trying these poses.  My respect level for those groovy Yoga people sailed!!  I felt much like a complete idiot trying to do the Chair Position, the Crescent and the Warrior poses.  The best moments by far are the Downward-facing Dog.  As if my dog, KC new the name of the pose, she felt like it was her job to crawl underneath me to get me off the floor and bark, especially during that move!  Then Eddie decides he is the Yoga expert and pretty much schools me!  He would copy the most awesome Tom Morley, AKA Yoga genius!  I knew I liked Tom when he compared the Yoga breathing technique to Darth Vader! LOL  I just wasn’t in the mood for a perfect skin & body, perky blonde trying to inspire me towards never looking like her.  I have learned how to dodge my kids and dog and take the 20 minutes to focus on my health and myself.  It has been so wonderful and I am happy to say I am getting better at it everyday! (But I am still in secret fear of getting videoed and getting posted on facebook for everyone’s entertainment.  I feel certain, it would go viral on YouTube because of how ridiculous I look!!  It doesn’t help that my sister bought Annie a spy camera too, geez)  

No comments:

Post a Comment