Sunday, March 18, 2012

Another Birthday Surprise for Bonnie

Happy Birthday to my firstborn daughter, Bonnie!  It is so shocking that I have a legit teenager already!  I couldn’t ask for a better one!  She has been a dream of a child to have!  She is kind, caring, loving, thoughtful, considerate, giving, peaceful, funny, smart, unselfish and has a servant’s heart too!

I wanted this to be a monumental birthday for my sweet girl so why she was out of town at camp, Dan and I slaved to an extreme level to redo her room.  Our desire was to do an addition and for her to have her own room but the economy has slowed that dream down a bit.  Bonnie and Bubs have always been great friends.  They have never had the normal antagonistic brother/sister relationship.  It reminds me a great deal of  their cousins, William and Alexandra. They love each other’s company and have fun together.  Years ago, Bonnie started sleeping in Bubba’s room so they could hang out and talk at bedtime.  The little girls went to bed earlier and messed with Bonnie in the morning, so she defected to the “man cave” Ed snores and sleeps like a rock so Bonnie and Bubs would chit-chat and discuss their life with each other. 

About 3 weeks ago, Annie asked if Eddie could have a “sleep-over” in their room in Bonnie’s “real” bed.  He was still in his crib mainly because he had never climbed out so there wasn’t a rush to move him.  With the other kids, we had to boot the 2-year-old baby out due to the incoming sibling.  He had a total blast and never went back to his room.  That’s when I decided to switch the rooms around and give Bonnie her own personal area so she wouldn’t be a gypsy of sorts with no real personal space.  I haven’t worked that hard in years and years.  Dismantling 5 children’s stuff, switching beds, dressers, pictures and STUFF is a royal pain.  Dan was a champ and drilled holes and hung stuff, put together things and even helped me fix up the kid’s bathroom too!  I spent ALL day in the two bedrooms.  Dan even brought me lunch up there because I don’t think I could have escaped through the mountain of stuff.  I am a very sentimental person and I was determined to purge and stay focused.  I had Christian radio on the whole time, and I know it helped me through plus the prayers of friends.  Accepting the fact that I now have a teenager and don’t have a baby crib in the house after 13 straight years was a challenge and a milestone for me but I did it and I am proud! 
 
Bubba was so kind to me. I apologized to him for not having his own room and for taking over half of his room for Bonnie.  He said he was excited and felt bad that Bonnie never really had her own space for years and years.  He said he was lonely for Bonnie the two nights she was at camp and couldn’t wait for her to get home.  I was never more proud of Bubba for not being upset that I took down half off his posters, pictures and paraphernalia!  It made it even easier for me!

Well, the moment finally arrived today.  Bonnie got home from camp and came upstairs and freaked out over the bathroom first.  She was stunned when she walked into Bubba’s room.  She has had so much fun in there arranging her things and getting all settled in.  I got her some specific things that every firstborn would love.  A cabinet over her bed with little cubby baskets, a lamp with a swivel organizer around it for pens and pads and an empty under the bed storage for her keepsakes.  I feel so happy in my heart and relieved that this is behind me and all my kids are comfortable and settled, for now!  Now I need 2 Advil and a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment