Sunday, March 4, 2012

Happy 17th Anniversary!

Dan and I are really stunned.  Granted, we have been busy raising five kids and a hound dog but 17 years, really?  I started my day with Dan serving me coffee in bed, which he has done for 17 years and the poor man doesn’t even drink it.  He sat in bed with me and we looked at our wedding album and relived all the fun and craziness at the showers, parties, golf outing and reception.  I thought about all the people who blessed us at our showers. I saw several people who have passed on to heaven like my Dad and Dan’s grandfather.  I loved my wedding so much and it was all I hoped it would be but I would sure do things different.  I so would have cut out all the throwing the garter and flowers and even the wedding cake.  I don’t think I have ever known why you do such things. 

Dan asked me if I wanted my presents.  I was pretty surprised!  God bless him!  He went shopping with four of the kids including Ed.  I think he is really brave!  He got me a beautiful scarf and a cool zebra jacket! Furniture was the suggested 17th wedding gift and the kids did want to buy me another zebra chair! LOL  He also said he had made dinner reservations!  I was very impressed!  He took me to Rhett’s Piano Bar in St. Augustine.  It’s an upscale restaurant next door to Scarlett O’Hara’s. Is that a brilliant idea or what?  I went through a period where I was really obsessed with Gone with the Wind so I was so excited!  I really didn’t want to go that far way. If you know me, I like staying close to home and burrito gallery take-out would have been fine with me!   

Rhett’s was awesome though and Dan has always forced me to branch out and to have fun!  I learned early in our marriage to not be such a control freak because it stops ME from experiencing and enjoying things!  They sat us upstairs, tucked in the corner, with a balcony view of the most happening street in St. Augustine, apparently!  We had a blast people watching and eating a good meal without our little darlings, scavenging our food like they tend to do!  We saw a large group of motorcycles rumble by and all manner of crazy people, from drunks to street musicians, to big girls in spandex.  The chef came out for some reason and chatted with us.  We found out that he was the chef at Cap’s seafood restaurant who transformed their menu from fish camp food to a classier level.  He is going to be on the Food Network soon!  Dan is always amazed at how I can probe (he says interrogate) people.  I will spare you the details on our waitress….I know a lot about her too! :)

After dinner, we strolled down St. George Street and really saw all the sights.  I was stunned at the amount of people out and about.  You would have thought it was a national going out holiday or something!  It was crazy and we had a total blast!  I am very thankful I married a young, unestablished college kid!  I think he was the only of his peers that came back from Spring Break from his honeymoon in Lake Tahoe!!  LOL I saw great potential in Dan and he has exceeded everything I had hoped for.  He works tirelessly to support his family and has made me feel so very loved!  When I meet his co-workers, they always tell me about all the nice things Dan says about me and I appreciate him very much!  Happy 17th Anniversary Dan!  May we celebrate many more!!

No comments:

Post a Comment