Sunday, January 15, 2012

Hand-Me-Downs

I know it’s weird but I get so sentimentally attached to some outfits of my kids.  They signify an event or a special occasion.  I have forced myself for over 12 years to continue to purge against my will.  When I got pregnant with Annie, I just knew it was going to be a boy.  I had been saving all of Bubba’s clothes that were in descent shape.  I had several labeled bags organized in the attic.  When we found out it was going to be a girl, I stopped saving Bubba’s clothes and started giving them away to people with younger boys.  When we had our surprise 5th child, Eddie, I was happy that I never followed through and cleaned out the boy clothes from the attic.  It’s been so fun to see Eddie in Bubba’s clothes and always brings back a rush of memories of my first son. 

I just got out the last bag that I had saved and Eddie is so adorable in some of my favorite all-time outfits.  Today he is wearing Bub’s patriotic sweater and I am trying not to well up with tears at how fast my babies are growing up.  I will never forget asking a parent of one of my youth group kids how they can stand for their kids to grow up. She said she had made a choice to embrace each stage and to enjoy. She didn’t want to waste a moment in sadness at the passing of time.  I have adopted that mentality and have to remind myself to not get lost lamenting on the swiftness of time.

Loved this sweater on Bubs!
Last night, it got really cold downstairs while we were watching TV.  My 100-pound, baby boy came over and crawled in my lap.   Even though it was somewhat uncomfortable, I sucked it up and enjoyed every moment of warming him up with my big hugs! I know too well, that these moments will be far and few between in the days ahead.  Lord, please help me enjoy every stage of my baby’s lives and not waste one minute!

No comments:

Post a Comment