Thursday, January 5, 2012

Mr. Mac

Last weekend, when Dan was making me go on all those family bike rides to exercise the dog, we rode past one of my favorite teacher’s old house. (James McDonald lived across the street.  Yes he is making ANOTHER Wog Blog #wogbloghog)  Mr. Mac was our Principal and taught me history too.  I had a really difficult period my senior year at BCS.  I wanted to drop out of school it got so bad and I begged my parents to let me finish at the community college. One day, in the middle of class, the intercom, came on and the school secretary announced for me to go to the Mr Mac's office.  Of course, the whole class started with the “woooooooo” like I was in trouble or something.  I was a little worried although I couldn’t think of anything I would be in trouble for.  I went into to Mr. Mac’s office and he was so kind and compassionate to me.  He was so in tune to his students that he knew something was wrong in my life.  I shared with him some of the things I was dealing with and he encouraged me more than he knew!  He told me that God had a great plan for my life, to not be moved by the junk going on and to trust God.  He said God was going to use me and to forget about the people that had hurt me so bad.  It was so timely and it was word that I held onto and that helped me get through a difficult year. 

Mr. Mac was the most passionate teacher I have ever had.  He would go to whatever lengths for students to grasp a point.  He would frequently jump up on a desk and act out something from history and was the most charismatic teacher that there ever was!!  He was the epitome of making history come alive!!  I fell in love with history the first year he taught me and it is still my favorite subject!  He was so beloved by all his students and is frequently thought of with fondness and gratefulness for his impact in our lives. 

I located him on Facebook this week and reconnected with him.  We caught up on all that was going on in our lives and it truly blessed me!  He is retired now after 39 years and it kind of makes me sad.  I hate that another generation of students won’t be truly inspired by such an outstanding teacher but I am happy because he deserves to spread his impact in other areas in the world!  I just wonder what kind of reunion he is going to have in heaven with a host of former students who will thank him for truly changing their lives!  Thank you Mr. Mac for becoming a teacher and for taking time for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment