Friday, February 10, 2012

Daddy's Home!!!


Twice a year, Dan has to go out of town for several days.  I always think it’s a royal waste of corporate money.  I dread it so much.  I think mainly it’s the thought of being responsible for the 5 kids and the dog.  The dog is the biggest problem because walking her is not enough.  Dan rides her on the bike for 5 miles and then she is the perfect dog with her halo on straight!  Dan lectured the kid to step it up and help me while he is gone. I am not a morning person at all and I am very spoiled.  Dan gets up with all the kids everyday while I sleep in. He feeds them all, packs their lunches and quietly slips a cup of coffee on my side table and I sit in brief silence, waking up slowly. 

The first morning, I got jolted awake by a door slamming.   I looked at the clock and it was 7 AM.  I was really hoping all the kids were still at home!  I stumbled downstairs and was pleasantly surprised.  Maggie had made breakfast, Annie was busy packing everyone’s lunch (she is the one who slammed the door getting juice boxes in the outside refrigerator!)  Maggie even turned on my coffee and it was ready to drink, praise Jesus!! 

The second morning I woke up to something burning.  I freaked, RAN downstairs and it was only a waffle and after scraping it, it was still edible!  The third day, things went a little side-ways.  I had to break up a fight, we were cramming spelling, Bible verses, hunting folders and running late.  I was so glad it was my last morning alone to manage the masses!

The kids were so excited for the Dad to be home.  They turned out all the lights and yelled surprise and all on their own, made him a special treat of yogurt, cream cheese, whip cream and other mysterious ingredients that was really good surprisingly!  After we got the little kids to bed, Dan and I had a quick date to catch up on the quantity of events that transpired while he was out of town for 4 days.  We went to Burrito Gallery and when we came home, a good song came on the radio and we had a mini-dance party in the car.  I told him our neighbors probably think we are even weirder with the bass booming out of the car.  I always have a new appreciation for Dan after his trips.  We are blessed to be a good team and the thought of not having him around is daunting!  I don’t know how people do this.  I think of my friend Chandra whose husband is in the Navy and has a lot of kids too! ! I am so happy to have my family intact again and to be a survivor!

No comments:

Post a Comment