Monday, February 13, 2012

Wog Dog Blog - Squirrel Hunter


Today was a monumental day at our house.  Since we got KC a year and a half ago, she has chased squirrels with a fierce obsession.  She has made all of us who walk her, despise squirrels.  KC has made us run at break neck speeds and leap over bushes in a single bound.  I swear the squirrels frolic right in front of KC on purpose and mock her as she runs them up a tree!  Bonnie who has tree-hugger tendencies recently told me that she wants an “I Hate Squirrels” T-shirt.  Dan said he hopes one day she would actually catch a squirrel.  Well, today was the day!  She was barking and causing a big commotion outside so I sent Bonnie to check on her.  Bonnie starts freaking out and yelling, “KC caught a squirrel!”  We all raced outside and KC had a squirrel in her mouth.  She just kind of pranced around with it.  Typically, if we give her a bone, she goes outside and buries it.  I don’t think she really knew what to do with the squirrel.  She is a Tree Walker Coon Hound and is raised to hunt.  She is one of the best breeds for hunting that you can have but this was her first successful hunt and we are also untrained what to do next.  

When I was young, a friend of my brothers would go squirrel hunting and I actually ate some fried squirrel before.  I thought today, if times ever get really tough, KC could help bring home the bacon (literally) and help keep all the Wogs fed!  LOL Yes I know this is totally upsetting or grossing some people out but it’s the circle of life is all!  Squirrels are overpopulated in our area and they personally have driven me to the brink of insanity.  When I was pregnant with Bonnie and lived in our stilt house, squirrels moved into the floor, underneath the house and would keep me up all night running around and scratching. Then the little buggers started chewing through our PVC pipes and we would have all these leaks.  I prayed to God to help me figure out how the little critters were getting in the floor.  I was standing outside on the steps, and swoosh I saw the squirrel go in this tiny little whole on the side of a column.  I was wishing I had a gun in my hand to finish the little animal off.  Dan patched the place of entry, along with fixing the water pipes a few times and all was well after that but it did leave me with a bitterness and murderous thoughts about all the sleepless nights the intruding squirrel family caused me.

We decided we needed to get the squirrel away from KC so she wouldn’t tear it up in the back yard.  You would think at least one out of five kids would be upset or even traumatized by the experience but they were all like proud parents.  Yes, it’s weird but I understood.  She has attempted to a catch a squirrel hundreds of times and finally accomplished her life’s purpose!  She finally dropped it and I threw a bag over it and tried to grab it to dispose of it.  The critter was warm and totally freaked me out and I screamed and KC grabbed the tail and ran off again in the bushes.  My mother in law was over and took charge.  She corned KC and got the squirrel and put it in the bag.  The kids were sad like we took KC’s prize but it was the best thing to do.  I texted Dan a picture and he proudly showed everyone in his office and was puffed up with pride in his hound dog!  It might just be me, but I think KC is walking with a new swagger, feeling pretty satisfied with herself!

No comments:

Post a Comment