Friday, November 11, 2011

Our Favorite Veteran

Our Happy Birthday Edwards Party!
Today is Veteran’s Day and we had a fabulous day together as a family.  Dan took the day off from work and we headed to the River.  My desire was to go all weekend but I have entered that dreaded stage when my kids have their own life and schedule and our family time is quickly slipping away.  I am happy for my kids and excited when they get to do special things with their friends but I sure miss the days when I controlled our schedule completely.  I was really trying to be grateful we had one beautiful day together and it surely was.  Bubba was so funny.  He wanted us to celebrate with hot chocolate and all drink it at 11:11 AM on 11/11/11, LOL…..so we did and it was great! (Except when Ed dumped his cup in his lap!)


11:11 AM on 11/11/11 at the River
I thought about our favorite veteran all day, Edward Sanderson, Dan’s grandfather.  He was a war hero and fought in the South Pacific.  He rarely talked about it but he served his country well based on all the amount of medals that he received.  We sure miss him and were so honored that we were able to name our son after him, his true namesake because he did not have a son.  Dan’s fondest memories, which he shares with us, are the summers he spent with his grandparent’s at the Jersey shore.  His grandfather taught him to play golf and it’s been a passion in Dan’s life.  (He wanted to be a Golf Pro growing up and spent everyday, after school, at the golf course)  The best story that I have heard through the years is when Dan swung the golf club and wacked Pop Pop in the head and knocked him out.  When Dan was visiting with him in the hospital right before Pop Pop died, Dan and Pop Pop laughed when Dan was running his fingers over the divot in Pop Pop’s head that is still there from over 30 years ago!

The Edwards
The first time I met Mom Mom and Pop Pop, almost 20 years ago, they extended unconditional love to me from the second we met.  We bonded and I immediately had the grandparent’s that I never had before.  It probably helped that I had red hair, which they loved because they were Scottish too.  I remember how fun it was showing them my photo album from my Scotland trip.  They have always bragged on us, encouraged us and have given my family pure love.   They were an extra blessing for me when I married Dan.

We laugh at our Edward because he is as boisterous, musical and precocious as his great grandfather.  We definitely named him right!  On Pop Pop’s last birthday, we had a big party for the “Edwards”  Eddie was turning 2 and Pop Pop was turning 92.  It was so fun and special even though Eddie mutilated the beautiful cake before the party!

Edward Sanderson (bottom right) during the War
I know Pop Pop suffered tremendously by serving our country, being away from his family and seeing the horrible things of war.  He has left a legacy of love for our family and I am forever grateful!! Pop Pop, we salute you today on Veteran’s Day!  We sure love and miss you but Eddie is filling in quite nicely! 

No comments:

Post a Comment