Sunday, November 20, 2011

Wild at Heart

A couple years ago, my friend Sean Yost, told me to read the book, Wild at Heart.  He said it would give me an insight to raising my boys.  I took the book on vacation with me, to the mountains and spent many nights reading segments out loud to Dan.  What a tremendous book, shedding the light on how our society is emasculating young men.  Single moms raise so many boys now.  As a result, they are loosing the ability to learn the basics that all men knew, in times past.  It really educated me to embrace my boy’s aggressive side and not try to beat it out of them. 

The revelation that I received from that book was that I married a true wild at heart man!  I never really appreciated all of Dan’s capabilities until I read that book and saw how deficient some young men grow up to be.  I married Dan when he was only 22 years old.  He never lived out on his own but has always been so capable and confident.  Through the last almost 17 years of marriage, there has been nothing Dan hasn’t accomplished, if he desired to do it.  I remember one of the first things we did when we were dating.  We went to the gun range and shot all kinds of guns. We would also go out in his boat and go to dinner different places.  When he was still in college, he worked at a marina, on the weekends and would drive these million dollar boats around on a forklift and totally freak me out!

I have a strong, opinionated personality but what I respect about Dan is he sticks to his guns (literally, LOL)  He isn’t bullied or pushed around by me or anyone else and stands firm on his opinion.  He deals with issues and conflicts so much better than I do.  I don’t always like that he doesn’t listen to me but I do love that I am married to a real leader and the true head of our household.  It bothers me greatly when he gets attacked but he takes it in stride and keeps going. 

I am grateful that my boys have a father who will teach them how to shoot a gun, hammer a nail, fix a toilet, change a tire, chop wood, drive a boat, how to grill and who has loved their mother with his whole heart and made me feel like a true princess our whole marriage!  I have always felt very loved and very safe with Dan because I know he will do anything for his family.   I am blessed to have a wild at heart man, who leads his family with integrity and strength!

No comments:

Post a Comment