Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Senior Day

Last night, Bubba asks me if we are going to honor all the “seniors” at their last STARS Basketball game, which was today.  He was talking about the 5th graders on his elementary basketball team.   It will be their last year playing on this team.  I had a very stressful, long day and even though I thought it was a brilliant idea, my heart sank because I knew today was even more packed.  I wracked my tired brain about what I could do on the fly.  NOTHING came to me and I am rarely short on ideas.  I have a dear parent on the team who has always pitched in when needed so I asked her opinion and she had a great idea to hold up signs and talk about qualities of seniors that would spell seniors by the end.  I loved it and thought it would be so perfect.  

I was so conflicted because I’m pretty sure it was yesterday when I was watching my 6-year-old boy playing on his first basketball team.  Now he is getting ready to leave elementary school and I’m not ready!!  I love more than anything watching him play ball, whether it’s soccer, football or basketball.  He has an internal drive and is so aggressive. He never seems afraid (even though I am sometimes) I love seeing the “eye of the tiger” come on him during a game.  (He has that song on his iPod and has worn it out for sure!  That would have developed during our Rocky movie fest we had! :) 

I was running at full speed from the moment I got out of bed at 6:30. I started out at the Indian Parade at Eddie’s school and I have never seen such an adorable, serious little Indian who kept his hand in the “How” position like a pro!  I was very proud of Ed!!   Ed has been pulling on his ears for a couple days so I had to run him to the doctor to get it checked. (yes, he had an ear infection even though he keeps denying it!)  I ran real fast and got the “seniors” bouquets of suckers versus flowers!!  I was checking out and saw frames with a big mat and had the idea to get a team picture together.  I called my brilliant niece to see if she could help me get the picture off Facebook since I wasn't going to be at my computer but she was driving but told me how to do it on my phone.  While I waited at the doctor’s office, I downloaded the Walgreen app on my phone, swiped the picture off of Facebook and sent it to get printed at Walgreens.  I was feeling pretty hip and smart (briefly!)
  
I picked up the generator for the game from an awesome friend who has let me borrow it for all our games, so we could play music and have a scoreboard.  I went to store and bought cupcakes for the game, picked up the pictures, ran home put them in frames and was almost late for the game!   The moment came and we honored our 4 seniors and the smile on Bub’s face was worth the beyond insane hustling that I went through!  Dan was asking me why I do that to myself and was it worth all the effort. I really don’t care if anyone appreciates it but my boy!  I will be packing him up tomorrow to go to school at the U and YES, I believe moments like this are worth my time and energy!! I sure love my kids and as my mom says, I am desperately trying to hold back the hands of time that seem to be going at record speed. And yes I am crying if you are wondering!!! So congratulations "seniors!"  You will be missed next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment