Sunday, October 16, 2011

Concession Confession


When I signed the paperwork for Bubba to play Pop Warner, I read the part about parents being required to work at a game during the season.  I cringed and have been dreading it all year.  We get emails every week with the assignments and I was hoping since Dan is gone almost every night coaching that they would cut the Wogs some slack.  Well, my number was called up for yesterday’s game.  It’s not that I mind working, it’s just two more hours that I have to figure how to manage my kids and their dinner and bedtime.  



See that line?? I was not working thank God!
Bubba had a great game with a big win and then I was supposed to report for duty.  Dan had a bad headache so he was quick to head home with 4 Wog kids and Bubs and I stayed so I could work.  I went in the kitchen area and cracked up. The girl that seemed in charge used to be one of my youth group kids.  She was so happy to see me and so sweet. She put me on the register and gave me a crash lesson on how to operate the beeping thing. I asked if she trusted me and she said trusted me with her life. Wow!  I was really nervous.  I know I have a business degree from college but I was freaked out about this dang register.  Of course, people started lining up to get snacks in between games.  I broke out in a sweat especially when the register would BEEEEEEPPPPPP and then say “Operator Error.”    Honestly, it was kind of hurting my feelings! :(  My old youth group kid would yell up to me from the back, “What did you do now?”  She would come up laughing, press a couple buttons and get the blasted thing working again. The other parent that was helping was more clueless than me.  Eventually, I got the hang of it and even started giving correct change.  I know I shafted a lot of people and made quite a bit of money for Pop Warner. LOL  Dan had given Bubba money for dinner and I kept Bubba’s change in my pocket and quickly burned through it paying for all these cute little faces coming up and ordering something and not having enough money.  It broke my heart and I couldn’t resist. So next year, I won’t be going through the year with dread about working my shift!  Maybe only the backache that I have today from leaning out that short window! I really got a strange satisfaction becoming proficient and feel confident if the need arises, I could totally get a job at a Jiffy! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment