Monday, October 24, 2011

Legacy of Love


Death is the strangest thing.  I feel like I am in a fog of unbelief that Sherry is gone from our lives.  Sure, we are all busy and working hard to make her Celebration tomorrow perfect to bring her honor, but the sadness and loss is physically painful.  I remember after my Dad suddenly died, I honestly thought I was having a heart attack.  It went on for days and I even had Dr. Mark Messinese check me out so that I wouldn’t die and make my mom’s life even more devastating.  I finally realized that it was just a broken heart.  

Death doesn’t register in our minds.  It’s not natural for a person to be here one day and gone the next.   The hard thing is that life doesn’t care that you have had a loss.  It rumbles forward and forces you to come along.  I remember getting in bed, turning on music and never being able to escape the pain.  Everyone I have talked to the last few days, says the same thing. They haven’t been sleeping and they can’t imagine life without Sherry with us.  She surely had one of the biggest impacts on our community and abroad I have ever seen.  I even got a shocked and saddened Facebook message from France today about her.

I pray that all of us will assess the way we live our lives.  Sherry reached out, embraced so freely and truly loved others.  Life beats the heck out of us, people disappoint and hurt us, we cut them off and withdraw.  That’s not the way God wants us to live.  I watched Sherry over and over again forgive and continue to embrace people or students who had been cruel to her.  May we all live and love like never before in Sherry’s honor.  May we make kindness and affection our way of life.  May we all have people saying the same types of things they are saying about Sherry, when we pass on to the other side.  May we strive to make an impact and leave a true legacy of love!  Oh yeah, and let us wear scarfs, hats and accessories that would make Sherry proud too! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment