Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Maw Maw's Grits

My Mother totally cracked me up today and I really needed it too!  I stopped by to visit her and Eddie immediately started hassling her to whip him up some cheese grits. I said absolutely not and got a quick tongue lashing from both Ed and Maw Maw.  I was kind of thinking Ed sounds sassy, like Maw Maw and maybe he gets that from her since she took care of him for almost two years, while I worked!  She hops up and they start cooking away.  I am not sure how Mom gets him to “help” her so much without him burning himself.  It’s quite miraculous.  He pours the stuff in the burning pot and everything.  They have a system and I was so obviously getting in their way!  He did ask me a couple times when I was leaving. LOL!

Maw Maw finished the grits, puts them on a glass plate, stirs them around like crazy, and then scraps them onto a fresh cold plate to cool them down for Ed. Then he runs in on the couch and she props him up on a pillow, turns on his show and mom spoon-feeds him.  I was thinking wow, not sure I sat on the couch being fed my cheese grits at his age!  Mom acts relieved that he is eating then she fesses up that she only had white cheese that Ed doesn’t like so she dropped a couple drops of yellow food coloring in there to disguise the cheese.  I lost it and thought good grief, no wonder he is so freaking demanding! He was reaching over to get her iPhone.  I think he was planning on texting while she fed him :)

I was laughing and telling Dan about it and he said he made grits and eggs for the kids Saturday morning (while I slept in, ahhhh!) and that Ed refused them and said that he only ate Maw Maw’s grits.  Dan was so mad because he said they tasted just like Maw Maws, loaded with cheese.  I have a feeling Dan may not know about the secret ingredient, food coloring!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment