Thursday, October 6, 2011

Apple

I, along with the world, was very saddened by the news of Steve Jobs' death.  The last two days, I have read several news pieces about him and his life.  On Facebook, I have read many of his quotes and have been truly inspired by him.  It’s quite amazing to think of life without Apple products.  My sweet Dan bought me a SIGNED U2 iPod for my birthday years ago when it came out and it blessed me so much.  I have used a Mac computer for over four years and an iPhone for almost two years.  I am a huge fan of all things Apple.  Can you imagine life without an iPod?  I bet Eddie can’t imagine his life without MY iPhone :)

Never seen a kid navigate
on an iPhone like Ed
I honestly didn’t know much about Apple’s founder and hadn’t kept up with his struggle with cancer.  Two things have stuck in my mind all day.  The first thing is the fact that even with Apple having a value of over $200 billion dollars and Steve having every available resource in medical care at his fingers tips, he could not save his own life.  How frustrating must it have been for him, to have literally created an empire and truly changed the world and not be able to figure out a solution in your own body?  That reminds me of the importance of being right with God whether you are rich or poor.  God holds the keys to life and death and no amount of money can change the will of God.  It’s a humbling thought. 

I have also been thinking about his four children a lot.  He was a few years younger than my Dad, who also left four kids behind.  I always tried to comfort myself with the fact that Dad did so much good in a short time, that even though his days were cut short on earth, his impact was huge.  That obviously is the same story for Steve Jobs.  Wow, can you imagine what he could have accomplished with another 30 years or so…mind blowing.  I read a great article today that talked about the circumstances surrounding his adoption.  I bet his biological mother is so happy she didn’t abort this genius, who transformed society forever. What a lose that would be. (I am so not judging people who have had abortions.  This isn’t a political rant, I swear.  I have personally watched the results of dear friends who have had abortions and live with the guilt and regret everyday.  My heart breaks for them.  I know they would make a different decision if they had to do it all over again.  I just wonder about all the world-changers that never had a chance to transform our lives.) May God bring great comfort to Steve Jobs' family, friends and co-workers and may his legacy continue in the Apple world.

1 comment: