Friday, December 30, 2011

Star Wars Weekend at the Wogs!


Dan was beyond stoked!  His mom and dad gave him the blu-ray Star Wars movies for Christmas!  I am pretty sure he teared up with pure joy!  Today was the kick-off of the Star Wars Weekend at the Wogs!  We have 4 days to watch 6 movies not to mention the 3 bonus disks (the kids may have to skip school next week!) We all hunkered down on the couch with our popcorn and cranked up the surround sound!  All was going great watching the Phantom Menace until KC decided she wanted her seat on the couch and kept trying to push Annie and Eddie off.  We had to throw her outside a couple times and finally everyone shifted around and she could have a seat…geez!

I spent a lot of time during the movie reflecting on my Star Wars journey.  When Bubba was 3, he became completely obsessed. Bubba had to have his adenoids and tonsils out and got stuck on Attack of the Clones.  He said it so cute “Attack of de cones.”  I still say it in his crazy, baby speech issue, kind of way.  We would watch it from morning until night over and over again as he lay on the couch, recovering from surgery.  Bubba and I both memorized large segments of the movie.  It was so impressive that my brother would tell his friends about it!  He honestly thought he was a Jedi. I fell in love with the movies through Bubba.  I remember his 3rd Christmas, he got the Millennium Falcon and his first (of many) lightsabers. We went to a couple Star Wars Weekends at Disney and hunted down whatever lightsaber he was trying to find.  My friend Carole got him a little Star Wars book that identified all the characters and he studied that book like crazy.  I am a little appalled that I took him opening weekend to see Revenge of the Sith when he was barely 4!  I did have to take him out of the movie crying when Padime died.  (What was I thinking??)  We won't even get into our psychotic compulsiveness getting EVERY Star Wars toy from Burger King kid's meals. (Yes I did buy a few off ebay to finish "our" collection)  I am not sure I will ever recover from the freaky time we went to a "Trading Night" at Burger King when all the other people that need therapy came out to try and trade for their missing characters.....oh my! (Yes I did get a couple missing ones and was beyond ecstatic)

When I was pregnant with my fourth child and found out it was a girl, Bubba thought we named Annie after Anakin Skywalker.  We may or may not have told him that to help him with the disappointment of not getting a brother on this go around.

When Eddie was just learning to talk, I took great pride in the fact that he could say all the main characters names.  Dan thought I should probably be working on the ABC’s or something but I am dedicated to my younglings! (Force-sensitive children who undergo the early stages of Jedi training at a Jedi academy.) My Star Wars obsessed friend Sean Yost, gave me a guide book on how to raise younglings and the force is helping me to do so!

One of the funniest memories was Bubba’s 4th birthday.  We had all his pre-school friends over and Dan dressed up as Darth Vader and made a grand entrance, walked up to Bubba’s friend Luke and said, “Luke, I am your father!”  Sheer panic broke out and Luke was trying to climb the fence to escape.  Dan quickly had to remove his helmet to calm all the little petrified boys down.  It was so classic and wrong all at the same time!  We proceeded to commence our Jedi Training and all was well!  

I felt a little melancholy by the time the movie was over. It really wasn’t because Darth Maul killed Qui Gon Jinn. It was because I can’t believe my little Jedi is so big and doesn’t spend nearly as much time practicing his Jedi moves. Cousins Zach and William were also schooled in the art of the Jedi!  I sure hope Eddie can carry on the Master Jedi legacy in the family!! I know for sure that James McDonald will expect no less!

No comments:

Post a Comment