Monday, September 26, 2011

Forgiveness Works

I have been meditating today on the importance of forgiveness.  So many times, we allow an offense to end a close relationship.  It’s happened to all of us!  We disagree or we react and let things fly out of our mouth and immediately we wish could take it back.  Words linger out in the air and they have great power.  I vividly remember times when people have made comments to me that have speared my heart and they have no idea.  I can even remember one from 1st grade when a girl made fun of the new beautiful outfit my momma made me. Don’t mess with my momma!  (Maybe I still need to pray about that one LOL.)  

One of the hardest things is forgiving a person that has hurt your loved one especially your kid.  When someone makes fun of one of my kids I have to hold back Momma Bear….who honestly would like to inflict injury!  I laughed so hard last night, watching Good Luck Charlie on Disney.  The mom went to talk to a teacher and lost it and chased him around the school. I know every mom who has had to confront a mean teacher would have secretly LOVED to behave like that!

I have had relationships where you have to forgive because this person will always be in your life whether you like it or not.  It’s the best route always to release someone and to trust God that He will justify you somehow.  I like the thought of God vindicating me.  For some reason I think he will do a much better job than me!  Time usually works all the mess out and when we look back, it usually wasn’t such a big deal after all. I know the Bible says don’t let the sun go down on your wrath.  I totally get what that is saying but so many times it’s so much better if I sleep on it and hold my sassy tongue.  I try to make it a habit of giving it a day and duct taping my know-it-all mouth shut.  I put myself in time-out and it works!!  Honestly, that is probably why Dan and I never fight or maybe it's the fact that our life would fall apart if we did with the mass amount of kids that we have :) Sometimes, true forgiveness brings people even closer and bonds hearts deeply together.  Above all, how great it is that our God loves and forgives an endless amount of times!  Thank you Lord that we never run out of Your forgiveness!

No comments:

Post a Comment