Monday, September 19, 2011

Like Father Like Son


Dan loves sports as much as Bubba and I am so happy they share that bond together.  Dan has told me stories when he was a boy, he would sit at the top of his stairs and listen to the football games his Dad was watching downstairs.  Bubba has figured out what AM station the football games are on and lays on the floor in his room, by the radio, listening to the game while poor Eddie and Bonnie are sleeping.  Dan cracked up!  I couldn’t  believe Dan made him turn it off!  You would figure he would remember when he was also desperate to hear the outcome of a big game! 

Dan and Bubs are dedicated!  They have to be because Miami has had some rough years.  Before we got AT&T U-Verse,we didn’t have the channels that the Miami games were played on and it was a pain!  They tried to watch it on the computer but most of the time they would go to Sneakers and watch it.  They started meeting up with the same Miami fans and made some  U friends.  I was at the stoplight and a mom with U beads around her rearview was next to us.  My kids did the U with their hands out the window and we ended up chatting with her. (if you have ever sat at the 5 way intersection at Penman, you know how long we had to chat!) I mentioned that my kid Bubba went to Sneakers a lot to watch the game since they weren’t televised and she cracked up because she was one of his Cane buddies.  What a small world!

I am really grateful that Bubba doesn’t require much sleep.  I was so worried when he was 7 years old and went to Gainesville or “The Swamp” to see Miami play the Gators.  It was the first time he saw his beloved Hurricanes play.  Unfortunately for Bubs, the Canes lost and he learned the “F” word from a nice, female, Gator fan who screamed it right in my boys face…nice!  Even her husband looked disgusted with her after Dan shamed her for talking like that to a child!  The highlight for Bubs was going to the IHOP and running into a Miami cheerleader!  I was totally freaked out that my poor boy stayed up until 1 AM in the morning! (He says it was 3 AM...oh my!)

It’s been a total blast to watch Bubs play tackle football!  I had no idea that I would love it so much!  I love nothing more than to see Dan patting Bubs after a good play and them discussing the game!  It so blesses me to know that Bubs and Ed will always be Dan’s favorite buddies to watch football with…now we will just pray for one descent Miami season!

No comments:

Post a Comment