Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A Walk in the Park?? NOT


I am really trying hard to be a better dog owner.  Since the kids are back in school, I am trying to be faithful to walk KC.  The first couple days were really good!  She would stop every once in awhile and sniff around but for the most part walked pretty good.  The last couple walks were somewhat life threatening.  Dan has always told me that when he rides her on the bike, when they get to Forest Avenue near home, she kicks it into high gear and he better hold on for dear life.  I experienced it first hand. We crossed the road from Florida Boulevard and took the turn to Forest.  She turned into Greyhound race dog and dragged me as bushes were whacking me in the face.  I am not a runner like Dan.  I busted my knee in college when I was skiing through some trees in Colorado and ever since it hurts my knees if I try to do aerobics or run (and also dance too much at church :)  I was actually pretty excited the next day.  I wasn’t even sore and I attribute that to my faithful Yoga I have been doing for 6 months.  I guess it has strengthened my knees or something.  Or maybe it’s my half-price running shoes I bought LOL! (But don't tell KC, please)

So today, I was hopeful for a leisurely walk around the block. We got down to Kings and she lays down in the yard and gives me that, “I ain’t moving” look!  I was kind of embarrassed honestly.  I just know that people are riding by judging me on how I can’t control my dog…AND THEY ARE RIGHT!  I bent down and started petting her and she thought I was playing with her and started rolling around.  All of a sudden she jumps up, grabs the leash in her mouth and takes off back towards home.  I was running as fast as I possibly could.  These surprise-running jaunts are freaky.  I think she just doesn’t want to walk is the bottom line.  I guess that’s what you get when you adopt a hunting dog.  Praise Jesus we didn’t see any squirrels.  If that happens I could have lost an arm out of the socket…

No comments:

Post a Comment