Saturday, August 20, 2011

Bubba = Football Fanatic

First Day with Helmet and Pad
I remember the first football game that Bubba watched with Dan when he was about three years old.  Dan would explain things to him and he retained it. He retained EVERYTHING!  This kid can tell you what a team wore 3 years ago and who they played in their Bowl Game.  He corrects his Dad on a regular basis with detailed football information on scores and such.  I just assumed all boys were like that since I was a girl.  I marveled at his attention span and thought it was weird how obsessive he became.  He never got into toys besides Star Wars. He asks for jerseys for every Christmas and birthday (and they ain’t cheap!)  

I will always appreciate Mrs. Meredith, Bubba’s beloved 1st grade teacher.  He has always been aggressive and I had some concerns so I had a conference with her.  I told her that I was going restrict him from playing sports if he got in trouble at school and she gave me a good talking to and a good education that forever changed me.  She strongly discouraged me from ever punishing Bubba by taking away sports.  She said that she had the same God-given passion for sports and it severely affected her when her parents would punish her in that way. She said many people pray for that kind of dedication and passion and I shouldn’t squelch it.  She said I should in turn, encourage that passion and help him pursue it.  That meeting gave me an insight into my son that I have never forgotten.

Loving his first team jersey
Bubba has played three seasons of Flag Football. We finally decided to jump into the Pop Warner swirl after him begging us for years. Bubba finally had his first tackle football game in St. Augustine today! I was so worried about the practice schedule and it being too hard on him.  So far he has loved every minute of it and is sad on the nights he doesn’t have practice. I really admire Bubba because he is very self-disciplined and dedicated when he wants to be.  To get ready for the season, he stopped eating sweets for the summer. I can’t even count the times I have begged him to eat dessert and he just says NO!  He started training at the park and would run a mile.  I don’t feel comfortable with him going over there alone so many times I would go out there with him to watch him.  
Working hard getting in shape

One night, he had me use the stopwatch for each lap he did because he wanted to improve his time on every lap.  He blew my mind when he shaved off 40 seconds by the final lap and met his goal. It might have helped him that I was screaming, Go, Bubba, Go Bubba at the top of my lungs!  He did tire drills, push-ups and sit-ups and also refuses soft drinks all on his own.  He made a bet with me that if he doesn’t drink one for a year, he will get $75.

Coach Dad and Bubs after first game!
He did great today probably because of all the Wogs that were dressed up, cheering in his team colors!  I am so going to print us T-shirts “Bubba’s #1 Fans!”  It was really the cutest thing I have seen in a long time, all those miniature football players running around.  (Don’t tell Bubba I called them cute but they were!)  The rain cut the game a little short so all the Wogs and my Mom hit the Dairy Queen to celebrate his inaugural tackle football game!

DQ Celebration!
Bubba doesn’t seem to be tiring of Football yet. If he does I will be his #1 cheerleader with whatever he decides to pursue!  My prayer for him everyday is that he will grow strong in stature and in Godliness!  For me, I’ll just keep yelling, Go Bubba Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment