Friday, August 12, 2011

Judge Mary - Epic Reality Show

Talk about a BLAST from the past!!  Last night, a BCS alum and old friend, Judge Mary, came into town and we met for dinner.  My friend Stacie rounded up some other alums and surprised her. At the table, we had 6 graduates of BCS. It was craziness from the second we all sat down. I swear it was instantly like we were back in school together joking around. Mary is currently a Judge in North Carolina and we sat totally mesmerized by her stories and her constant sparring with our old friend Chris Messinese.  Those two were hilarious.  At certain times, we thought they might actually have an old fashion fist to cuffs!  The night melted off about 25 years from all of us and we felt like we were 17 again. Stacie and I spent most of the dinner looking at each other across the table, shaking our heads and laughing!!
 
Mary was a year older than me in school and was always very friendly and an awesome athlete.  We shared many good times on the volleyball court together!  Mary was born to be a star.  I told her that last night when she was telling us about how she has been approached by three networks to do a reality show.  Can you say “MOVE OVER JUDGE JUDY??”  I am already the biggest fan of her show.  She isn’t sure she wants to open herself and her family up to the madness but I say it’s inevitable!  She is seriously the most entertaining person I have ever been around. Mary always says how she feels and you always know where she stands.

Judge Mary works in family court and deals with the saddest of cases.  Many kids are neglected and abused. Mary is a true advocate for children.  She comes down hard on parents and forces them to take responsibility for these children that are in trouble due to lack of good parenting. Mary has a reputation for being a very tough judge but she has a heart of compassion under her tough exterior. She told us stories about children acting out and after Mary investigates, she finds out they are being abused. She told us a story of a young girl who she called to the bench and had a private conversation with about why she kept skipping school.  The girl broke down telling her it’s because she has no clothes and is embarrassed so Judge Mary got her proper clothing so that she can feel good about herselves. I am pretty sure she had tears in her eyes when she told us that story. I did too. I am thankful that there is a Judge out there that is holding parents responsible. Mary is so functioning in her calling from God.

BC Alums and our favorite teacher Ms. Lee
After dinner, we all loaded in my Suburban and headed to where Mary and the Fowler clan were staying. It was pretty comical seeing Charlie and Chris wedged in the back of my truck by the car seat! Brian was pretty impressed with my driving as I parked pretty perfect in between two cars with my man truck! We got to visit with Abbie and her children, Anne and the Westfalls.  It was a blast.  Mary came by the school today and visited her old stomping grounds and some of her former teachers! It’s amazing how much love and affection still exist among us BCS alums. Even though we may not have fully appreciated our days at BCS, they sure were precious. Those intimidate times of worship in chapel were truly life changing. The Michael W. Smith song is ringing in my head, “Friends are friends forever when the Lord’s the Lord of them!”  May my children also find forever friends at BCS! Stay tuned for Judge Mary, epic reality show to come!
Mary with her two favorite teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment