Sunday, August 14, 2011

Fly Lady


Years ago, I was feeling so overwhelmed with all my babies and a house that was cluttered and disorganized.  My cousin told me about Fly Lady and I became a HUGE believer.  (Holy Cow, I sound like a commercial :)  I logged onto her site (flylady.net) and her welcome letter had me crying. She says things like “Do you feel overwhelmed, overextended, and overdrawn? Hopeless and you don't know where to start? Don't worry friend, we've been there, too”

I am pretty sure she told me to hug myself and that I was doing a great job but things were going to get even better!  She is a master at encouragement and organization.  Her themes are declutter and routines.  She holds your hand and walks you through purging your treasures and organizing your life.  It honestly changed my life forever.  I haven’t logged on in awhile but plan to this week and catch up with all those secret areas where I have been cramming junk.  Today, I snapped and I locked the kids in their rooms and forced them to clean. (So you don’t call HRS, we don’t have locks on their rooms but I did suggest strongly that they stay in there until it was tidied up!)  I feel sorry for my kids because they are on top of each other and almost have no private space but they do have more junk than they could ever play with in a year. 

One thing that set me free was the journal she suggests you use. I called mine the Control Journal. She walks you through how to make one or you can buy hers. I put everything in there, our family calendar, phone numbers addresses and my daily list of chores, grocery lists, credit card/bank account/insurance numbers, and everything of importance. It set me free to have one centralized place.  I was so much happier and at peace.  I was a much nicer mom too!  Now, I utlilize my computer calendar that pops up on my iPhone too since I am taxi mom much of the day. This week, I am getting back on the Fly Lady train and I can’t wait! I am forever grateful to the Fly Lady and my cousin Debie who saved me from a life of being featured on Hoarders!


No comments:

Post a Comment