Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Early Bedtime


Annie's last night in the crib in Bub's room

I have joked about how early my mom put me to bed but I honestly think it is one of the smartest things a parent can do.  For us, we live in a bunkhouse situation with 5 kids in 2 bedrooms.  We are planning on doing an addition some time soon and make two more bedrooms in the garage but for now the kids share.  I really think it’s a wonderful thing.  Obviously, when they go to camp or college they will be used to sharing a room. If you put them in their rooms an hour before they really should be sleepy, it gives them time to settle chat, read books and settle down. I bought them book lights and they play a lot with those!  Not sure how much reading they do but they do have fun with them. We play Christian radio in their rooms and my kids know all the songs on the radio and I love that! I did catch them turning on a hip-hop station once and they got in trouble for that.  A little hip-hop, now and then doesn’t bother me but not at night.  I want them falling asleep hearing about God and not bootie dancing.  
Eddie's 1st Night in the crib in Bub's room

The obvious benefit is that it gives parents a break too.  I typically do a lot of chores at night especially during the school year. Of course they squabble at times but I love to hear their conversations.  Bonnie is easy going and is a good listener and Bubs is opinionate and a talker so it works out well.  Before I had Eddie, Annie shared a room with Bubba and when she was a baby I would hear Bubba telling her all about football and his favorite players.  No wonder the girl likes sports LOL!!  Surprisingly we have very peaceful nights even though people rotate around.  All and all I just dread the day they are no longer in their beds living with me :(  I love my babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment