Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Addicted to Prayer


Johnny and Keith
Three years ago this Fall, I was in a low time, not knowing what I was suppose to be doing in my life, having no direction personally.  Yes, of course, I had five kids to take care of but I am one of those crazy people that think everyone has a real God-given purpose beyond diapers, dishes and laundry.  I got a flyer from church in the mail and it was lying on my counter.  I walked by and saw “Intercessory Prayer, Wednesdays 6 PM.”  I didn’t hear an audible voice but something resonated in me and I knew I must join.  I was hopeful that I could at least show up and stand in agreement with whoever was there and maybe somehow I wouldn’t offend anyone or screw this up.  
Joanne and Keith
I have to admit, I was nervous the first time I slipped in the door because in my opinion, the people sitting around the table were spiritual giants that I looked up to.  It was weeks before I prayed out loud but I LOVED it. I truly believe they are the heroes of the faith.   I felt honored to be welcomed in the group!

I am an over-active, over-thinking person who has trouble sitting still.  To sit for an hour, and seek God is so against my general busy personality. To be honest, some days, it’s the first time I sit all day.  It has turned into one of my highest weekly priorities.  I plan for it and try to be there every week.  I’ve gotten babysitters and go late even if I am only there for the end.  Life happens and sometimes I have to miss and I have to fight off depression if I do.  Dan has been so supportive leaving work early and usually zooms in the driveway, leaves the car running and I jump in and take off to church.  It’s a sacrifice that he makes for me because he knows how encouraged and built up I am when I get home!   Prayer unites people like nothing I have ever experienced.  When I was a youth pastor in my twenties I prayed weekly with local youth pastors and it created a bond that still exists.  It’s an amazing deep spiritual thing that I can’t explain!  We saw God do great things that were beyond us.

Alexandra and Michel
Once again, I have fallen in love with the most unlikely gathering of diverse people.  We have a small, dedicated group from young single ladies to grandfathers and all in between.  For me personally, it has built me up and seen me through the scariest times in my life.  I had surgery last year and the doctor thought I could have cancer.  They fought for me spiritually in the heavenlies and helped carry me through my fears of dying and leaving 5 babies behind.  I got a good report and a few days after surgery, made it to prayer to tell everyone the good news!

I feel truly blessed and thankful for the power of prayer.  We have seen miracles happen and prayers answered over and over again.  I honestly feel it’s the most productive thing I have ever done in my life. (and you know how "productive" literally, I have been! LOL) I leave full of hope leaving my worries and anxieties behind.  The dedicated prayer warriors have changed my life and I know their reward in heaven is great! #addictedtoprayer

No comments:

Post a Comment