Thursday, July 14, 2011

Hurricane History


Bowl game 2010
People ask on a regular basis why we are such over the top, crazy Miami Hurricane fans living up here in Gator Nation.  Here’s how it all started….I was raised in a Cane house.  My Dad and Mom grew up in Miami and my Dad attended the University of Miami.  My Dad was hilarious.  He would dress up for the games in his Miami clothes and hats and decorate with his paraphernalia.  He loved to watch his Canes play football!  I was mildly interested but not really!

Bubba with Dan and Annie in his 1st Cane jersey during
Bowl Game 2006
We always joked that Dad started dating Dan before I did.  Dan got caught up in the 80’s with the rise of The []_[]. For those of you that are old enough, you will remember that the Miami Hurricanes were incredible in the 80’s but the downside was that they brought the thug mentality to college sports.  They were not mannerly, respectful college boys and didn’t play nice at all BUT they won 5 national championships and changed college football forever.  They actually wrote the rules for excessive celebration based on the Canes bad behavior during the Cotton Bowl against the Texas Longhorns. (unfortunately)  Needless to say, Dad and Dan didn’t miss a Cane game together and had great memories!

Mom gave Bubba this hat of my Dads.
Bubs couldn't believe my Dad
had a flat cap hat, LOL!
Then Bubba was born….that’s when I really became a fan!  At three years old, Dan started explaining football to Bubs and they began watching games together!  Bubba suckered his grandparents into buying him his first Miami jersey when they were here on a visit.  He wore it constantly and I had to sneak and wash it when he wasn’t looking!  Of course, Bubba was my first son and I thought all boys were this intense and fixated on what they were interested in and now 7 years later….I think his commitment to the Canes may last.

Bubba likes the whole family to dress for games, to hang posters, pillows, Ibis’s, blankets and more!  Does that remind you of anyone? (My Dad!)  It pains my heart to think of how much fun my Dad and Bubs would have together going to games.  Bubba is sure his Paw Paw would have bought them season tickets!  My Dad would have enjoyed Bubba’s passion and would be so proud of him continuing the Cane family tradition!  One of the most sentimental things that happened is my mom found some of my Dad’s Miami Hurricane stationery and wrote Bubba a letter telling him how much Dad would have loved him!  Mom has passed Dad’s blankets, footballs, cups and hats to Bubba and they are some of his prized possessions.
Bubs even gives U Valentine cards!

VBS craft 2011
Bubs teachers through the years are so sweet and patient (he has had several Gators, a Buckeye and a Nole) He has to have the green or orange scissors. crayons or construction paper.  His wonderful Art teacher texts me pictures through out the year and marvels at how he works the U into every project regardless of what it is!  His VBS teacher told me she made sure she had plenty of orange and green supplies!  He even adapted the scripture they were learning and wrote on his craft, "Even though you walk in darkness you can't hide from the Miami Hurricanes."  I joked and said that is found in Cane 1:1. He even made a bet with his K4 teacher that Miami would beat the Noles and sure enough they did and she had to wear a Miami T-shirt of Dan’s the whole day at school!  One of the worse mistakes I made was in the fall of 2008. Dan BEGGED me to let him take Bubba to a game in the Orange Bowl.  It was scheduled to be torn down and this would be the last opportunity to EVER go.  I was psychotically, hormonally pregnant for the FIFTH time, freaked out about my 6 year old going in the hood where the Orange Bowl was located and I said NO WAY!  Later, a documentary came out on ESPN called The U.  We watched and Bubs learned way more than I wanted him to about his beloved Canes.  The film ends with footage of them tearing down the stadium and I glanced over at Bubba and big tears were dripping down his face.  Of course, even bigger tears came from me filled with regret.  To make up, I tracked down an authentic orange bowl seat for him for Christmas with gum still under the seat and everything.

Baby Eddie 2008

The glorious day that I found out I was having another boy! We bought an infant Miami outfit and socks and interrupted Bubs 1st grade class and broke the news!  Bubba was ecstatic (and relieved)  Eddie has been indoctrinated ever since!  Bubs begged us to name his brother Cane too! Ed had U pacifiers, blankets, nightgowns, sippy cups, bottles and more LOL!
Bubba's 1st Miami trip 2009 (Miami beat Oklahoma)
University of Miami 2009

His dream came true in 2009.  Dan surprised him with Miami tickets and they headed off on their first road trip together.  It was the best weekend of Bubba’s life.  He tailgated at the stadium and the Canes won the game against Oklahoma!  He visited the University of Miami campus, and shopped in the bookstore!  They met our Cane neighbors who attend the U and they graciously toured Bubs around the campus!  That Christmas Santa left a package at the door and when Bubba opened it, he was very surprised by a Miami football signed by the whole team!  I thought Bubba might have a heart attack.  It was a true Christmas miracle!
Touring the campus with the Amblers 2009

Bubs in heaven seeing all Miami's awards in the Club
section on his 2010 trip.  (Miami beat North Carolina)
Bubba’s ultimate dream is to attend the University of Miami and play football.  Most people discourage him and think it’s just a childhood fantasy but as his mother I will do everything possible to help him achieve this dream.  Do I want him moving to Miami and playing a dangerous sport?  HECK NO but Dan has berated me throughout our years of parenting that I cannot allow my fears to stop our kids from trying new things and following their dreams.  I love my boy’s focus, passion and determination and will rejoice with him when he gets his acceptance letter to the U in the mail!  I know my Cane Daddy will be doing his celebratory Cane dancing in heaven too!  I sure hope he doesn’t get a penalty for excessive celebration!!  #ohappyday #TheU #missmydad



No comments:

Post a Comment