Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Grocery Fairy

Almost four years ago this fall, my childhood BFF, Paulette, started bringing me her BOGO’s (Buy one, get one free) from Publix.  I was in the pit of depression, totally overwhelmed, exhausted and 6 months pregnant.  She didn’t know how to help me and bringing me the extra groceries she didn’t need, was her way of helping and blessing me.  I cried chronically especially if you asked me if I was pregnant.  Dan asked me one day when I was going to tell people I was pregnant again and I said NEVER!  I told him just one day, poof, I would show up at church with a new baby and people probably wouldn’t even notice.  My kids took care of it though and made the announcements at Sunday School and I thought their teacher was going to collapse having only one son.
I admire my friend Paulette so much!  She took a Kingdom Assignment challenge at church.  She received a $100 to make a difference in the world.  She had the bright idea to launch the Grocery Fairy.  My kids had named her that because she would bring them treats like powdered donuts that their health nut Dad wouldn’t ever buy them!  Paulette had the idea to encourage people to adopt a family, or donate to BEAM with the extra BOGO items. For us it wasn't a financial need but a logistic need of dragging 4 kids and an infant to the store.  I can’t tell you how much fun it’s been.  We never know what she is going to bring and she will never know how much she has saved the day with her drop offs.  So many days I would dread having to go to the store to get through the week to get juice boxes or school snacks and she would bring just what I needed.  Most of the time, we never see her because she is sneaky!  We open the door and groceries appear!!  It’s magical!!  After I had Eddie and got hormonally stable again and feeling back to my old self, I told Paulette she didn’t have to give us the groceries anymore and she begged me to let her continue.  We became best friends when we were babies and it helps keep us connected and gives us wonderful visits when we can catch her doing a drop off!  Plus it takes a village to feed these kids and she feels she is doing her part as my friend!!  I am not too proud to admit that I need help and LOTS of prayer from my friends!!
The GF's Birthday!

Paulette is a true visionary and pioneer and her Grocery Fairy movement has expanded to local schools and throughout the community and beyond  She is a regular speaker at church events and school PTO’s.  She even got a National Award out in California for the true difference she is making in countless lives!  She has been in the paper, on TV multiple times, on radio shows and who knows where her good deed, starting with her BFF will take her!!  Fly on GF, Fly on!! #beagroceryfairytoo

No comments:

Post a Comment