Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Parenting Ain't for Sissies - Part 1

My Babies!

I am going to write on parenting for a few days.  I have spent a lot of time with my little darlings over the summer and have a lot of good material!!

This parenting gig is hard. People say to me on a regular basis, “I don’t know how you do it!”  The truth is NEITHER DOI! I never set out to have five kids.  I love each so dearly and I am so very grateful to God for giving me all five healthy babies but to be honest, it’s scary and overwhelming everyday!  The thought that Dan and I are responsible for raising all these kids TOTALLY freaks us out.  One time we were sitting at the stoplight near our house and we both glanced in the back seat and saw five faces looking back at us and we stared at each other and said silently, “How did this happen?” LOL  

Fun with Dad!
I’ll never forget when I emailed my Pastor and asked him to be praying for us when I found out I was pregnant for the FIFTH time!  I had moved on.  I had closed up shop, getting rid of baby equipment and settling in with my four peeps to raise!  Annie JUST got potty trained and I was seeing the light at the end of the tunnel of babyhood. (I am totally singing that song, “There’s a light at the end of the tunnel, there’s a light at the end of the tunnel for me!!!”)  My Pastor didn’t email me back but called me because I think he sensed my desperation and shock in the email.  He told me that the Holy Spirit had spoke to him and told him that he was giving us another child because He trust us and we were up for the task!  Holy Cow!  I so appreciated that and have reminded myself MULTIPLE times!  
Just Chillin' around the pool!

We have two secrets to our survival!  The first is GOD!  If God’s mercy and grace doesn’t cover us and help us then the Wogs are doomed!!!  I know that love covers a multitude of sins as the scripture says and I am betting on it!  I apologize to my kids when I blow it, when I am not a good example and when I say what I am thinking instead of what I should say!  Our rule that we have stuck to is, we NEVER miss church unless we are out of town or someone is really sick.  I want my kids feeling really weird when they grow up if they don’t go to church weekly.  It’s called a HABIT and I am training them up!

Dining out with 5 Wogs is always a thrill!
The second thing we rely on is humor!  We try to have a lot of fun.  We joke, we laugh and we try not to take things so seriously.  WHO CARES if you don’t get your laundry done, or your dishes? Your kids don’t!  Is the best thing that you had movie night with your kids, cuddled with them and ate popcorn? YES!!!  I try to remember that since I am always behind on housework and sometimes miss great moments with my kids trying to catch up. I want to create memories and good times for my kids and checking off MY To-Do-List is not the way to do it!  I pray everyday, “Jesus help me!” and guess what?  HE DOES!  God is awesome and goes out of His way to do help me, with good deals, with good “rock star” parking, and His great favor!!!  I tell my kids on a regular basis, only with God will you truly experience fulfillment and success!  Nothing else will satisfy!! Jesus help us raise the 5 Wogs and a Dog!! #desperate

"Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful." Joshua 1:7-8

No comments:

Post a Comment