Thursday, July 28, 2011

Teachers Change Lives

The Rogers love America as much as the Wogs!

I feel guilty!  I have spent the whole summer dreading school.  People are shocked when they ask me if I am ready for my kids to go back to school and I respond with a “HECK NO!”  We have such a relaxed, stress free, fun time together.  I don’t have to hassle them to do their homework and be on their case.  Of course I want them to learn but the amount of work that it entails, burdens my soul.  I feel so much pressure to spend the time they need doing their homework, projects, reading... but it’s literally impossible with four kids. I was shocked as a parent when I realized even though I graduated with honors from college, that didn’t mean I would know how to teach my own children. With Bonnie, I panicked and felt like a failure because I have no recollection of phonics rules or much anything past K5 apparently.  Education changes, lingo changes and the terms for things too. 

I am so very grateful for the help God has sent me.  My mother in law has been a teacher for 30 years and last year they moved back to Florida having moved when I became pregnant with Bonnie.  I felt like the Calvary rode in!  She is dedicated to my kids being educated and has the skills to teach!  Praise the Lord!

Teresa took Bonnie for her first pedicure!
Another person that I couldn’t have survived without is Mrs. Teresa Rogers (She is so going to cry when she reads this!)  She is one of the best friends I have ever had.  Her love and commitment to my family astounds me.  Most people have to take us in small doses and we eventually weary them!  Teresa has been a consistent force of support for the Wog kids and me.  She drops off presents constantly of fresh fruit from their yard, patriotic gifts and secret Peter Brook for me!!  She takes the Wog kids on dates and blesses them with special gifts on their birthday!!  She makes us feel so special and loved!!  

My love for Teresa really began the year after my Dad died.  She and my father share birthdays. (That must be why she is so special :)  No one knew it was my Dad’s birthday, or the first time we would celebrate without him.  She walked into my office with tears streaming down her face and handed me a rose.  That wasn’t the first time we would cry together.  It meant the world to me (and I sit hear crying again at the love and kindness she extended to me that day!)

It's wonderful to have a teacher who loves boys!
Mrs. Rogers tutored Bonnie for years for free and would also pick her up early for school to help her on a regular basis so I wouldn’t have to drag my infant and kids out early in the morning.  She believed in Bonnie and always encouraged both of us!  We have cried together, prayed together and rejoiced together through the years.  I admire her so much and have never met another teacher like her.  She is so kind to her students, never yells at them and brings out the very best in every single one of them.  Her students are never the same when they leave her class.  My kids have been blessed with other wonderful teachers as well but have also had teachers who act like they hate teaching and are so miserable.  I honestly would love to tell them maybe they should find another profession. What a gift a true teacher is.  One who does whatever it takes to teach a child. That’s Mrs. Rogers. Bonnie had trouble in math.  Mrs. Rogers researched and found Touch Math, a hands-on skill for creative minds.  IT WORKED!  My baby was successful in math because Mrs. Rogers went way beyond what is expected.  She uses songs to teach multiplication tables and is so dedicated to making sure her students learn the basics.  She gives them a firm foundation to build on.  If there was ever a person born to teach it is Mrs. Teresa Rogers!  I am pretty sure when you look up teacher in the dictionary, her picture is there!

The thing that is keeping me from being totally depressed about school starting is that my Maggie gets to have Mrs. Rogers and I look forward to the impact it will forever have on Maggie’s life!! Thank you Mrs. Rogers for staying the course, not quitting and being an example to so many of what a true teacher should be! XOXOXO

No comments:

Post a Comment