Saturday, July 9, 2011

Train Up a Child!


I believe we do our kids a disservice by not teaching them and making them do chores and clean.  I tell my kids all the time, we are a family and we all have to do our part.  YES, it’s sometimes easier and faster to do things yourself but how will they learn if we don’t teach them?  They don’t always do it perfect and YES it gets on my nerves sometimes but I praise the daylights out of them and keep giving them opportunities to improve.  


Sometimes I have to point out things like how it is unacceptable to wipe the counter and hide all the junk behind the picture frame or how it’s not OK to just shove everything under your sister’s bed.
The funniest thing happened today.  We had a bunch of laundry to fold and I make the kids fold their own clothes and I will do my stuff and the random things.  Eddie kept saying, “I want to help.”  I noticed Bubba was kind of walking around not doing anything and then I heard Eddie yell from the laundry, “Bubba, I done.”  Bubba had Ed pull everything out of the dryer and into the basket (I told Bubs to bring the last load out for us to fold!) He was trying with all his might to shove the basket down the hall, bless his heart!  

Then he wanted to fold clothes so I kept handing him his clothes.  I finally saw what Eddie was doing.  He was meticulously folding his shirt in a tiny little ball and throwing back in the big pile!!  We all cracked up and I had to teach him to fold and stack in his own pile!

The secret to good participation in our house, with the smallest amount of grumbling is bribing them (or politically correct parents may say rewarding!) and playing loud music (U2 blasting sure helps me!)  They love those icy pops that the Dollar Store has in mass quantities!  

Now our only big problem is when KC decides to help!  She grabs socks and runs, eats the broom and all manner of things!  She particularly likes helping with dishes!  She licks them all clean! #childlabor #doglabor

No comments:

Post a Comment